Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming general elk adventure!

JesseSr

Alright gents, here we go. Two of my sons and I are leaving tomorrow morning for the 7 hour drive to western Wyoming for our first out of state elk hunt. I want to tell everyone thank you for the awesome stories, pictures, and knowledge that has made this trip a possibility. We've hunted elk in Utah for the last 20 years, so we are hoping some of that knowledge will carry over to a new area. The plan is to tent camp and chase elk for 12 days. My 16 year old (youngest son) has to get back in time for homecoming.

My plan is to use this thread for a bit of therapy, so I hope y'all will bear with me as I do some thinking and writing. I have five sons and two daughters. There is a large age gap between the five older kids and the two younger ones. In years past, I was so busy with life, that I didn't recognize each time that it was my last hunt(s) with each of them. They're mostly good kids (dumbasses sometimes), but still mostly good people. They've become good adults and are busy with their lives, raising kids and their careers.

The understanding and processing that I don't have a lot of elk hunts left has been difficult for me. In 15 years, I'll be the camp cook and be watching my sons and grandsons leave camp to chase elk. The thought of that makes me smile a little bit and makes me a bit emotional. I don't like the thought of not being able to keep up anymore, and don't want to handicap my kids from their possible success - some of you might understand that thought. I've realized that my knees and eyes aren't what they were and I can't keep up with my older sons as they out hike me when we are in the hills.

Anyway, I'll be posting pictures as we enjoy our time in the woods. If any of you end up in the southwestern side of Wyoming, hit me up. I'd love to stop by and make a new friend or two.

Time wears down even the tallest mountains. Camp cook sounds good to me for your eventual transition. Up early to get some warm food going and sandwiches for the hunters. Then, nap. Hot food waiting for the hunters after dark. If feel good can tag along to help glass or pack out a front quarter. I am on the couch watching football tonight. I am comfortable but is like any other evening rather than an elk camp adventure that is full of memories.

Good luck!

We are off on our adventure this morning! We left Southern Utah before the sun came up. I kissed the wife goodbye and got on the road. I thought you guys might enjoy a few pics of our view as we were leaving the house.

it's going to be a great day today! We hope to have camp set in time for a short hike this evening. Who knows, maybe we will hear a few bugles today!
20220916_071524.jpg

Attachments

• 20220916_071531.jpg
    20220916_071531.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Well, that oil is coming from a big hole in the block of my son's truck. Luckily, we have good friends who are on their way to rescue us. This will set us back a few hours, but we are still determined to make it up to Wyoming today!

View attachment 239740
It's always something! Good luck to you. At least you planned almost 2 weeks and not a 4-5 day trip!

Yeah, the last few days have been pretty nice temp wise here in northern UT. Have a couple days coming up this next week that will heat back up, but then a front will blow through and cool us back off a bit again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back