Wyoming Gen Elk & Reduced Price Cow Tag Application Question

matechakeric

as a nonresident, are you able to apply for both general rifle elk tags & reduced price cow tags or do you have to pick one or the other?

Thanks I really want to take my old man elk hunting this year for his first time. I figure if we both apply to the general special draw elk (independently - not as a party app) with 1 measly point each and both apply for reduced cow tags, we have to have pretty good odds of going elk hunting this fall

Last edited:
"pretty good odds" depends on what unit you go for. Check the restrictions on reduced price cow tags, Some may be private land only, some may not allow you to use it on national forest, etc. There are full priced cow tags and reduced priced cow tags, they are reduced price for a reason

In my experience, if a type 6 tag is easy to draw, there's a catch. Doesn't mean it's not a good tag, but it might mean you'd want to do your trip later in the season, pay a trespass fee, etc. You'd want to talk with people who know the unit and could give you advice on how to deal with that particular unit's "catch."

"pretty good odds" depends on what unit you go for. Check the restrictions on reduced price cow tags, Some may be private land only, some may not allow you to use it on national forest, etc. There are full priced cow tags and reduced priced cow tags, they are reduced price for a reason
Is it possible to draw full price cow tags 4 as a second choice as NR or are he odds usually very steep?

I'm trying to find online drawing odds of type 4 as second choice

Is it possible to draw full price cow tags 4 as a second choice as NR or are he odds usually very steep?

Just depends on the area, go to the NR elk preference point drawing odds and report, check the type 4 tag of interest, for example area 1 type 4 had qouta of 9 with 4 1st choice applicants, so 5 tags available as 2nd choice.

Yes, no, maybe, not a chance

Check draw results for last year, game and fish has all the info, just hav e to look

Big State so the answer varies

Just depends on the area, go to the NR elk preference point drawing odds and report, check the type 4 tag of interest, for example area 1 type 4 had qouta of 9 with 4 1st choice applicants, so 5 tags available as 2nd choice.
Not quite right, total quota of 9 tags, with 17 total first choice applicants with 2 points and less. No tags left for second choice applicants. Hunt area 2, type 4 had 10 total tags, 6 were issued to first choice applicants, leaving 4 tags available to second choice applicants.

Not quite right, total quota of 9 tags, with 17 total first choice applicants with 2 points and less. No tags left for second choice applicants. Hunt area 2, type 4 had 10 total tags, 6 were issued to first choice applicants, leaving 4 tags available to second choice applicants.
Yes you are right, I didn't read down the lines all the way, used to looking at reduced price odds with no points!

Back