PEAX Equipment

Wyoming elk

Duck-Slayer

I am curious about unit in SW wyoming, thinking about getting a cow/calf tag next year, I see that it is a general hunt unit, if anyone that would care too share some information, I really don't want too put the unit out too the public so I am asking here, PM me and I will tell you what unit I am thinking of, or you can guess on here and I will PM you....:D
Matt

EDIT: i'm going too change info too cow/calf units that are close too Idaho..... i'm just looking for freezer meat....here some random units I was looking at with less people applying than are given out 90, 67, 97, 102 the way I understand it had leftover tags this year..... take 102 for example, there were 80 tags available 47 first choice and 14 second, so does that mean there were 19 tags that went on sale? this is looking at the non-resident random draw cow/calf draw

Last edited:
I don't know those units specifically, but I would research why those units are unsubscribed. If you think you have a diamond in the rough, go for it.

But look at

Amount of public vs private land (Accessible). Lot's of private may have outfitter leases and skew #'s of applicants. (As a general rule of thumb, an NR isn't going to pursue an outfitted hunt for a cow/calf)

As an NR, look to see if the unit's public land is non-wilderness designation or unit has a significant percentage of wilderness.

For the most part the units you mentioned are fine choices. The ones in the Winds are complicated a bit by wilderness but still doable. My advice would be to pick any one of the Wyoming Range, or Greys River Range units and get a tag. The primary reason any one of these units would go Undersubscribed is because the state offers so many cow/calf tags not because of a lack of access. Any unit with limited public will be marked in the regs. I would recommend 90, 92, 94, 102 and 104 for what you are looking for. Do not worry about letting the cat out of the bag on these units. Elk are crawling all over the place. Look at the General seasons in most of these units. They have extended cow only seasons on a General tag just to try to get more people to shoot a cow.

For the most part the units you mentioned are fine choices. The ones in the Winds are complicated a bit by wilderness but still doable. My advice would be to pick any one of the Wyoming Range, or Greys River Range units and get a tag. The primary reason any one of these units would go Undersubscribed is because the state offers so many cow/calf tags not because of a lack of access. Any unit with limited public will be marked in the regs. I would recommend 90, 92, 94, 102 and 104 for what you are looking for. Do not worry about letting the cat out of the bag on these units. Elk are crawling all over the place. Look at the General seasons in most of these units. They have extended cow only seasons on a General tag just to try to get more people to shoot a cow.

Sweet, so if you wanna shoot a cow on a general license do I pay the full price any elk tag, the reason I'm looking at a Cow/calf is because its only $288, that way my wife and I both can get a tag...
Matt

In those areas you can get a General license. They have seasons for antlerless, antlered and both. You can also purchase one of the reduced price cow/calf tags, actually up to 3 if you want to, in addition. If you are focused on price and meat then stick with the reduced price cow/calf tags.

Below is the wording from the regs. Note the units I mentioned and the ability to get 3 tags in some of those areas. There is a reason the State wants more cows taken.

(e) For elk, any person may apply for and receive up to one (1) full price elk license
(General, Type 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 9) and one (1) reduced price cow/calf elk license (Type 6, 7
or 8) through the initial drawing. After the initial drawing is completed, any person may
purchase up to two (2) reduced price cow/calf elk licenses valid for any hunt area of the state.
Any person may receive a third elk license provided that it is a reduced price cow/calf elk
license and is issued for one of the following hunt areas: 3, 5-10, 12, 19, 21, 23, 33, 34, 35,
47, 48, 49, 61, 63, 64, 66, 69, 92-94, 104, 106, 108, 114, 116, 117, 120, 122, 125 or 129.
However, no person shall apply for and receive more than a total of three (3) elk licenses in a
single season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back