Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Elk Unit 36 for Cow Elk...Advice?

dannyb278

Hey all,
I am heading to Wyoming for a antelope hunt (unit 24) in the middle of October. I couldn't help but notice that there were leftover antlerless elk tags in nearby elk unit 36, on the east side of the Big Horns, south of Sheridan. I know a bit of it is in wilderness, meaning me as a non resident would not be able to enter the wilderness without a guide.

I have never hunted elk, and have failed the last 2 years in drawing a bull tag for Wyoming. I'd be very happy to bag a cow if the opportunity presented itself. If we fill our lope tags in the first 3 days, I still would have 2-3 days to hunt elk. Does this seem like doable proposition?

Any advice on Unit 36?

Thanks in advance guys, and good luck with your season.

Last edited:
My brother is there this week hunting with his bow. I am assuming it is a type 6 tag. In some units those tags limit you to BLEM or state land until certain dates. Just read carefully and go hunt. We have hunted the last two years in another unit on type 6 tags. If gives us a good feel for the area for when we draw the bull tag. Two years ago I killed a cow on day 1 and seen 50+ elk. Some were big Bulls. Last year zip. You just never know . That's why it's called hunting and why I love it. If you got points the last two years you could draw the general tag next year so this would be a nice way to scout it the year before.

It looks like 36 is sold out probably due to the fact those tags have no restrictions like 33/34/35. Those all have tags left over but are restricted to certain areas until later in the year. Good luck, do some research and go for it!!!

It looks like 36 is sold out probably due to the fact those tags have no restrictions like 33/34/35. Those all have tags left over but are restricted to certain areas until later in the year. Good luck, do some research and go for it!!!

According to Wyoming fish and game there are still type 4 antlerless tags for unit 36

Back