Wyoming elk unit 22 (cow) questions

rnp70

I drew cow elk tag in WY unit 22. I was hoping to hunt later in the season when the whole unit is open, but due to my schedule I think I will need to be hunting earlier in October. My reading of the license is that in October, the license is only valid in the Muddy Creek Drainage of Unit 22. Unfortunately, I can't seem to narrow down what qualifies as the muddy creek drainage. I can find muddy creek, but nothing online or on maps that designates the drainage proper.

Is anyone familiar with this unit. I'd also like to bounce some ideas off of people regarding road conditions in the area.

Thanks in advance.

Muddy Creek drainage is basically the western half of the south side of Ferris Mtn. There are not many roads on the mountain and what's there is rough. There is a landowner that I believe allows cow hunting. The elk do give him some problems on his hay meadows.

Later in the season you can hunt cows off the mountain, on the north side, in the sagebrush draws.

I too drew this tag for 2019,,anybody with any unit 22 info would be great,,i too understand it as only the s w corner of unit 22?are cows "easy" here or should i figure its gonna take a little?thinkin of late october when i go?

so,,,does a 22-6 cow tag open for the whole unit later?when does it open for that?the way i understand it is that its only the muddy creek drainage?opens october 8th,,but it doesnt say when it ends??would like to know when it ends if anybody knows?

Per the game warden from several years ago: "The boundary is pretty easy to figure out; does this draw/ravine/stream drain into Muddy Creek?"

yes/no

I too drew this tag for 2019,,anybody with any unit 22 info would be great,,i too understand it as only the s w corner of unit 22?are cows "easy" here or should i figure its gonna take a little?thinkin of late october when i go?
I sent you a message.

There are certainly cows that come down into those hay fields by Muddy Gap. I think I've also heard that there's a deal with the land owner. Ferris mountain is one wicked looking piece of rock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back