Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Elk unit 10

jerm8352

I noticed that there are leftover Unit 10 cow tags. The season runs long and I was wondering if anyone else had ever hunted there late. Just curious as to how bad the roads/snow usually are and if it would be worth the time and money to get a cow tag. Any advice? Anyone ever hunted unit 10 in November or December? Thank you!

This will be the first year I will be hunting the areas up there. But, I have a few buddies that hunt it every year, and one consistent story they tell is that when hunting season opens up, the elk tend to move to private ground. I would guess you would still be able to find something as there is a lot of territory. I know in area 10 when the snow hits, your travel will be limited to snow machine. I used to snowmobile in that area, and there is very little road access once the snow flies. In fact they close the highway just above the ski area. If you have a snowmobile, then yes, the late season could be good, depending on where the elk are.
I will be in all of the general areas up there in the next few weeks and may have some more info. Hopefully the 'ole stick and string will come through, and hopefully I will have pictures to show!! Best of luck to you!

Thank you. I know that there is the Strouss Hill Hunt Management Area in unit 10. Has anyone ever hunted there? I do not have access to a snowmobile, so I am wondering if this will even be a good idea or not. Any help is always appreciated.

Thank you. I know that there is the Strouss Hill Hunt Management Area in unit 10. Has anyone ever hunted there? I do not have access to a snowmobile, so I am wondering if this will even be a good idea or not. Any help is always appreciated.

I believe the HMA application deadline was in August.

I don't know about that area, but I do know that it just depends on when the snow flies. If they get a lot of snow early, you wont get in without a snowmobile. Unless you want to walk. Then you could always rent a snowmobile if you get anything down. But renting, in my opinion could get pretty pricey to drive to a spot and let it sit all day to hunt.

Best of luck to you!

According to the game and fish website, you can apply for permission to this specific hma until Oct. 15th. Any know anything else about it?

I wouldn't get to worried about snow unless you're hunting later in Nov. The last few years have been mild throughout most of Nov. I would expect some snow, but nothing that won't stop you from getting around. If you can still access the forest above Rock Ck., I'd plan on checking out some of that country. I shot quite a few elk up there back in the day...

The tags are for Nov 1st through Dec 31st. So snow could be a problem. I am really looking at that HMA. Anyone know about it?

The tags are for Nov 1st through Dec 31st. So snow could be a problem. I am really looking at that HMA. Anyone know about it?

I've never been there, but it looks like the permission slips are first come first serve. Couldn't find how many were left... if they are gone that might tell us something.

There were 800 tags and 800 permission slips. There are currently 310 tags left so I am assuming there would be roughly that many permission slips left or more.

I don't have any info, but I bought a tag this summer and have a permission slip. Was planning to check it out once it opens up. I searched and could not really find any information about the HMA. Heard a few brief positives, but nothing specific.

I am in the same boat peterblomberg. I am not looking for anything except whether it is worth getting the tag.

sbhooper, to the best of my knowledge, there are a few ranches in a specific area that will let you hunt during specific times with a permission slip and specific tags.

Thanks for everything guys, hope someone else has some more info. Does anyone know who the game warden is for unit 10? There are not real specifics on the website listing of wardens.

I hunted 10 a few times. If it snows it makes it difficult unless you have a snowmobile but you can still get around on snow shoes, the snow usually drives the elk down ahead of it and they will be in the lower elevations and sometimes real low where the walking isn't too bad and some of the lower roads will be useable to a point. Don't take chances with it though, some help if you get stuck may be a long time coming. There used to be a few ranches with unlimited trespass on them in the north end of it. Same applies snow machine, we had three elk down about 10 years ago a few miles back in and had to rent machines in Laramie and get them. Go to the wyoming fish and game website and check out the WMA's and HMA's for specific ranches, also check with the Laramie Ranger to maybe get landowners names that may let you hunt on them.

Thank you. I do not have money for snow machines and its a lot of money for tags (I just moved to Wy, so it would be 300 bucks) so I am just looking for info. I really want to hunt this year, but I also do not want to throw away money because I ca not access the areas where my tags are for. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot. There were a few listed on the website and I was not sure if it was considered Laramie or Saratoga. Both are pretty close.

Thanks a lot. There were a few listed on the website and I was not sure if it was considered Laramie or Saratoga. Both are pretty close.

Yeah, that was my guess of the 3 or 4 listed. I believe I ran into Bill in the Med Bows closer to Laramie this past winter. Seemed like a nice guy.

Back