Wyoming Elk Preference Points question

jeff_gibbons

Hi Guys,

I tried to search for this question in previous threads but didn't find the answer. User error is likely cause so pardon if redundant.

My question:

Do youth applicants in a party app draw the pref point total down if they enter w zero points?

thanks,

Jeff

Disclaimer- I am not as up to date on the youth as I should but I believe the following to be correct.

Everyone’s points in the party will be averaged out. So yes if the youth has 0 it will reduce the average. Also keep in mind youth get no discount on the special priced licenses, only the regular.

For nonresident, including youth licenses, they all gain a point of they do not draw. As far as a party is concerned, the preference points are averaged out so if you have 4 people hunting and one has 4 points rest have 3, you will go into the draw with an effective point count per individual of 3.25. If the party does not draw, everyone signed up for the party hunt (nonresident only) gets a preference point.

They're right. There's no reason why a kid's points (zero in this case) wouldn't be used in the average for the entire party. If you don't want the party's average to be brought down, just apply the kid separately. Maybe put him or her in for a cow tag so he/she can still hunt.

For nonresident, including youth licenses, they all gain a point of they do not draw. As far as a party is concerned, the preference points are averaged out so if you have 4 people hunting and one has 4 points rest have 3, you will go into the draw with an effective point count per individual of 3.25. If the party does not draw, everyone signed up for the party hunt (nonresident only) gets a preference point.

The part underlined above is NOT true.

Here is the wording on how to obtain a preference point in Wyoming:

Full Price Elk, Full Price Deer and Full Price Antelope Preference Points (Nonresidents Only) For nonresident full price elk, full price deer and full price antelope, preference points can be accumulated by purchasing a preference point during the preference point application period as per the dates on page 4.

This is from page 14 or the 2020 Wyoming Game and Fish Department Hunting License Application Information booklet that can be found here:

ClearCreek

Back