Caribou Gear

Wyoming Deer Units 76 and 77

Bam Bam

I moved to WY last year, and this will be my first year hunting mule deer.
Can anyone give advice on Units 77 and/or 76? I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots, but some general advice, like "Scout the creek bottoms first" or "Glass the timber in the hills". I am having trouble locating many deer, so anything to get me started in the right direction will be welcome. The GENERAL season for these two units will be from October 1-14.
(In case anyone was wondering, I have looked at the GIS and BLM maps, bought my GPS chip, I am in shape, I have good optics, and I don't plan to bowhunt this year.)

I’d be more concerned with learning the roads, find glassing points, and finding camping spots right now. There’s a good chance the deer won’t be in the same spots they are now come October 1st.

I moved to WY last year, and this will be my first year hunting mule deer.
Can anyone give advice on Units 77 and/or 76? I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots, but some general advice, like "Scout the creek bottoms first" or "Glass the timber in the hills". I am having trouble locating many deer, so anything to get me started in the right direction will be welcome. The GENERAL season for these two units will be from October 1-14.
(In case anyone was wondering, I have looked at the GIS and BLM maps, bought my GPS chip, I am in shape, I have good optics, and I don't plan to bowhunt this year.)
They're not very good deer areas anymore...there are MUCH better general areas in WY. Particularly during the season, the deer are just sparse. They come out some later, but you can't hunt them at that time.

They're not very good deer areas anymore...there are MUCH better general areas in WY. Particularly during the season, the deer are just sparse. They come out some later, but you can't hunt them at that time.
Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Do you have any suggestions on better GEN areas to scout/hunt? I am willing to drive about 4-5 hours away from Cheyenne, if there are better options.

Last edited:
Gents, I am on a General D license as well, and coming in from Missouri. I'm actually headed out next weekend to do some scouting, and would love to hear about any past experiences or suggestions to key in on. This is my first DIY hunt, so still learning here.

Main decision for me will be whether to go to 66/70 from October 15th to 21st, or stay in 74-77 in October 1-14.

I'll be scouting down in 76 and 77 in a couple weeks, Lord willing. I'll try to remember to check in with you, and let you know what I find.

I've seen some good bucks in 76/77 while hunting Moose. Been a few years now but I'm betting they're still in the same areas near the creeks & rivers.

Is elevation more of a consideration in that area, or just finding food, cover, does, etc? I'm assuming in October they're just starting to think about moving out of higher ground.

Back