Wyoming deer unit 60 type 1 tag

MJE

I hunted this unit back in 2016 and seen a good amount of deer and a few decent bucks. Harvest success was approximately 73% that year for the type 1 license. The harvest success rate has declined every year since and in 2019 was about 46%. At some point I would like to hunt the area again as it’s a beautiful place. I haven’t called the local biologist for information yet but figured I would ask here first. Are there any locals that could shed some light on what’s happening with the deer herd just east of Laramie?

Increased recreation on Vedauwoo and just lower deer numbers I would think. Just wait til they implement the CWD plan, goo luck finding a mature buck then.
Area to the north is doing well, but they want to kill off our mature bucks as well in the CWD plan.

60 just is not what it was a few years back. I really believe the increased recreation in the area has pushed some of the mature bucks out to find better areas without dogs and hikers year round.

I haven't lived here long enough to see changes over time but I rarely see bucks, much less mature ones, in 60. A decent amount of does can still be found there when the roads get closed for the season.

Man, I don't have the historical knowledge of @wytex , but I do figure you should find some nice representations out there, like the one I have attached that was out there in 2019.

I'd imagine the biologists will institute a later limited quota hunt for bucks of some kind and issue some more doe tags to address CWD which will reduce overall deer numbers, but I don't foresee Martin and/or Lee totally going all out suggesting a Montana-esque general buck hunting season through Thanksgiving.

Just my two cents on the matter. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4383.JPG
    IMG_4383.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
I hope you're right Heyjbales about the season proposals, but the parts of CWD plan I have heard and read don't give me the warm fuzzies.
I'm sure there are some good bucks in 60 , didn't mean to sound all doom and gloom, just not what it was. We've been chasing others species up there in Nov and just haven't seen the deer we used to.
Lots of hikers, bikers and folks walking dogs.

Nice buck pic !

I hope you're right Heyjbales about the season proposals, but the parts of CWD plan I have heard and read don't give me the warm fuzzies.
I'm sure there are some good bucks in 60 , didn't mean to sound all doom and gloom, just not what it was. We've been chasing others species up there in Nov and just haven't seen the deer we used to.
Lots of hikers, bikers and folks walking dogs.

Nice buck pic !
We'll see! I have a CWD area hunt in Colorado to see what that's like this November. (y)

I would imagine you nailed it with it being hard to get away from folks of all varieties. Not a lot of roadless areas and the places without roads do seem to have trails (which were really nice to have when I lived in Laramie) for hiking, biking, etc.

I'd be real interested in hearing how it goes from @MJE

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back