Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Deer research

Scary when you see how many CWD related deaths

Scary when you see how many CWD related deaths

Not really...around 10%.

Another thing to consider is there a disproportionate number of cwd positive deer captured during collaring?

Not trying to down play the impacts of cwd or the importance, only to be cautious when there could be a reason why even 10% tested positive. Its also a pretty small sample of a herd with 10,000 deer.

The rates of occurrence could be higher or lower than found in the 70 they collared.

Not really...around 10%.

Another thing to consider is there a disproportionate number of cwd positive deer captured during collaring?

Not trying to down play the impacts of cwd or the importance, only to be cautious when there could be a reason why even 10% tested positive. Its also a pretty small sample of a herd with 10,000 deer.

The rates of occurrence could be higher or lower than found in the 70 they collared.
I would guess a disproportionate number are killed by predators also and can't be counted.

53% of mortalities were due to CWD.
15% of the study population.

These kind of numbers can make a herd unhuntable.

I would guess a disproportionate number are killed by predators also and can't be counted.

Could very well be...and I would guess hunter killed and sampled deer could also be over-estimating cwd prevalence.

Why its important to not push the panic button before you look at the complete picture, including total population trends.

Could very well be...and I would guess hunter killed and sampled deer could also be over-estimating cwd prevalence.

Why its important to not push the panic button before you look at the complete picture, including total population trends.
Buzz, you do believe CWD is part of Mule Deer decline? Major factor?

Buzz, you do believe CWD is part of Mule Deer decline? Major factor?

I think its definitely a factor in the areas that have cwd, but what explains the same type of declines in areas without cwd and pretty much across the range of mule deer?

If you want my personal opinion, I think the glory days of the 60's and 70's for mule deer was a "one off" type of deal with a perfect storm of favorable conditions that created the best there ever will be. Conditions we may never see again, but seem to be hell bent on comparing the situation today with. Probably not realistic.

I think its definitely a factor in the areas that have cwd, but what explains the same type of declines in areas without cwd and pretty much across the range of mule deer?

If you want my personal opinion, I think the glory days of the 60's and 70's for mule deer was a "one off" type of deal with a perfect storm of favorable conditions that created the best there ever will be. Conditions we may never see again, but seem to be hell bent on comparing the situation today with. Probably not realistic.

Is there a button stronger than Like? Strenuously Like?

climate change Hum? So the climate really has been changing in wyoming? I don't think so.

Then how do you explain earlier green ups since records have been kept? Conifer encroachment into alpine areas that haven't ever had conifers present? Changes in plant communities and types across elevation and latitudes across the West.

Look pal, this isn't going to turn into a what is causing climate change debate, because I don't care about that. But to deny that things aren't changing also isn't going to turn into a debate either. I see it all the time.

The ultrasounds done on those deer a year ago when they were first captured and collared showed the mule deer in the upper Powder River herd go into the winter in a very similar body condition as the mule deer in the western part of Wyoming come out of the winter. Not good news if you are a upper Powder River herd mule deer.

ClearCreek

Then how do you explain earlier green ups since records have been kept? Conifer encroachment into alpine areas that haven't ever had conifers present? Changes in plant communities and types across elevation and latitudes across the West.

Look pal, this isn't going to turn into a what is causing climate change debate, because I don't care about that. But to deny that things aren't changing also isn't going to turn into a debate either. I see it all the time.
PEOPLE/DISEASE/PREDATORS thats your cause of chronic decline>>> Global warming as a cause of Mule Deer decline I don't think so Bud. WEATHER YES> acute decline, its always been variable Drought/Cold/Snow/Heat/Moisture pick the decade since 1820 and choose your weather extreme. I'm serious plot them out. Must have been global warming/ climate change ha ha in the 1820's & 30's the coldest decade or the 1887's the most severe winter> The early teens hottest summers many days in the 100's even in the low teens.
Global warming is not a factor in mule deer decline but yes a couple severe winters have hurt the deer recently just like in the early 80's or the driest years on record in Wyoming 1931 thu 1935 and the wettest 1995 thru 1999 the rebound> then drought in 2000 - 2012 and a few bad winters
Its been hot and cold and severely dry from time to time in the wyoming. Climate change started the day we started keeping records!!!!!!!!!!!!

PEOPLE/DISEASE/PREDATORS thats your cause of chronic decline>>> Global warming as a cause of Mule Deer decline I don't think so Bud. WEATHER YES> acute decline, its always been variable Drought/Cold/Snow/Heat/Moisture pick the decade since 1820 and choose your weather extreme. I'm serious plot them out. Must have been global warming/ climate change ha ha in the 1820's & 30's the coldest decade or the 1887's the most severe winter> The early teens hottest summers many days in the 100's even in the low teens.
Global warming is not a factor in mule deer decline but yes a couple severe winters have hurt the deer recently just like in the early 80's or the driest years on record in Wyoming 1931 thu 1935 and the wettest 1995 thru 1999 the rebound> then drought in 2000 - 2012 and a few bad winters
Its been hot and cold and severely dry from time to time in the wyoming. Climate change started the day we started keeping records!!!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't answer the questions...try again, this time without the emotion.

Weather is different than climate change.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back