Wyoming Cow Elk

NDMuley

Ok been looking at leftover cow elk tags. Am I not understanding things right? Area 47 48 and 49 have tags left and from the looks of it access is good. Can someone correct me if I am wrong? I would love to head to Wyoming for a cow elk hunt. Thanks.

Edit....Just read the hunt area info for 47, says the vast majority of the elk stay on private land, maybe 48 and 49 are the same

Have hunted 48. How long would you be in Wyoming? There's a bunch of public and a bunch of private that is accessible. However, the cows gather in huge herds and they move around within a huge area (both within the unit and into other units). You could be there at the right time and be swimming in elk. You could also spend a week hunting it and never see a cow if the herds aren't in the right place. That's a tag I would get again if I lived in Wyoming, or was going to be there all Fall. Otherwise, I'd probably not.

Have hunted 48. How long would you be in Wyoming? There's a bunch of public and a bunch of private that is accessible. However, the cows gather in huge herds and they move around within a huge area (both within the unit and into other units). You could be there at the right time and be swimming in elk. You could also spend a week hunting it and never see a cow if the herds aren't in the right place. That's a tag I would get again if I lived in Wyoming, or was going to be there all Fall. Otherwise, I'd probably not.
Sounds like the area I am hunting. You might not see elk for days then all the sudden you are swimming in them and tag out quickly.

Thanks for replying. I am trying to gather information on a cow hunt. I would really love to hunt elk. I would not have a ton of time. Would just like to find a area that I would have a fair chance at seeing elk and being able to put stalks on a few. Don't know much about elk hunting so all information is appreciated.

Thanks for replying. I am trying to gather information on a cow hunt. I would really love to hunt elk. I would not have a ton of time. Would just like to find a area that I would have a fair chance at seeing elk and being able to put stalks on a few. Don't know much about elk hunting so all information is appreciated.
If you got about a week and after cows, there are places in areas 3,6,102, and 104 where you can find cows even in the winter. I do not know enough about the other areas. I generally tag out when I get a tag for these areas and hunt the ladies. I am buying an over the counter tag leftover for one of these areas if they still exist when I get paid.

If you got about a week and after cows, there are places in areas 3,6,102, and 104 where you can find cows even in the winter. I do not know enough about the other areas. I generally tag out when I get a tag for these areas and hunt the ladies. I am buying an over the counter tag leftover for one of these areas if they still exist when I get paid.

102 and 104 are gone, tried to get one on the leftover draw but got my second choice.

Thanks for all the info. I think I will do a bunch more research and try plan a cow elk hunt in Wyoming next fall. Just to much information to gather to be ready for this year and I want to do it right.

Found this thread in a search for elk unit 47. My buddy and I are from WI, and drew Type 1 tags for unit 47. When we found out we drew, we were SUPER pumped. However, it seems access may be limited, or the elk are mainly on private. We are both hardcore DIY whitetail guys in WI, but this will be our first time elk hunting (really, first time out of the midwestern states), so it doesn't sound unheard of that most of the game is on private land.

Since it's our first time elk hunting, our standards were going to be low (just looking for a legal bull, or even a cow if the experience got us pumped up in the moment). Since we drew a Type 1 tag, our original plan was to purchase the archery upgrade and try bow hunting the rut. Then, if unsuccessful, come back for the rifle season. When we drew the tag, our thoughts were that we would go "all in" (in terms of using all the vacation we had for the year) on this hunt. However, after doing some research, that might not be the best plan...

Not looking for any specific spots or anything, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! (y)

Doug,
Did the same thing, bought a leftover tag and smacked this cow last October in 6.
Good eats!

CF8C9533-7E32-4C74-B3E2-187A5B73B41E.jpeg

🤣 Made me laugh, your about to find out just how "hardcore" you are. I say that in good fun, not picking on ya. Where in Wi?
Haha no worries! I've done DIY/public hunting my entire life, not because it's the hip new thing to do, but out of necessity. Honestly, I've never killed an antlered buck on private land. I live in Manitowoc (and no, I don't know Steven Avery lol), but I hunt public all over the state, and travel around the midwest. But, I went to CO on a non-hunting trip a few years ago, and when I saw the mountains it was a "some day I need to hunt here" kind of thing. I'm 36 now (and not getting any younger!) so I feel like I just need to GO and do it while I still can. I'm in good shape, but realistically, how many years do I have left where I'll be physically able to do it?! That said, my strategy is just to get in as many hunts as I can, and take the opportunities as they come, just have fun and make it an adventure!

Good luck. Elk hunting is way different than whitetail hunting in the Midwest, but every year people go out west for the first time and are successful. Keep the wind in your face.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back