MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Commissioners Tag!!! Unit ideas?

brownbear932008

Okay so a buddy of mine just called and it seems he has won a commissioners raffle tag that is going to be good for either elk, deer, or antelope. Of coarse he is going to chase elk. If you could hunt any unit in the State were would you go? The hunt will be a small group of DIY guys looking for a great bull. He has never taken an elk and this is his second adventure for elk. The first ended at the trailhead bucked off a horse in a freak accident destroying his knee and not being able to walk for 6 months during the healing process.
So far I have been looking at 100 & 124. Looking for a unit with good access lots of elk to sort through and of course no horses will be used (his request). Hahaha
PMs welcomed and he is worse than a 4 year old on Christmas morning right now. I can't wait to tag along and be a packer.

Last edited:
Resident? Can he /will he walk or is that what you refer to as "access". (off the hood of the truck?). NW WY has some incredible stuff but it is not for the faint of spirit.

Resident? Can he /will he walk or is that what you refer to as "access". (off the hood of the truck?). NW WY has some incredible stuff but it is not for the faint of spirit.
Non resident actually but he won the raffle off of a Wyoming organization. He will walk and cover ground as needed,but I don't see it being a backpack style adventure staying in the back country. I'm guessing truck camping or he would rather stay in a nearby town. I'm not familiar with any of the late season migration hunts in the NW area. Any of those worth considering by chance? Really leaning toward 100 but I see they have added quite a few permits over there.

Unit 124 is a no brainer if thats an option. Does the unit have to have a certain number of permits in it before a commission tag is allowed to be used? I seem to remember in the past that the unit needed to have X number if tags to be an option🤷‍♂️

I hunted 124 last year with a buddy who had a commissioner tag. I only got to hunt the last few days of rifle season with him and he tagged a decent 6 point. He said he saw a bunch of really good bulls during archery but come rifle they were tougher to turn up. Really cool area to hunt elk in though.

Unit 124 is a no brainer if thats an option. Does the unit have to have a certain number of permits in it before a commission tag is allowed to be used? I seem to remember in the past that the unit needed to have X number if tags to be an option🤷‍♂️
Thanks a ton, as far as I know he can hunt any unit on the tag but we are still awaiting the details also. But I'm pretty sure the raffle stated any unit any weapon. He purchased one chance in the raffle.

If I had that tag.. 7 would not cross my mind. I would look at unit 100, 30-32 or unit 124. All solid choices for a great elk hunt. Having lived in Wyoming for a few years…that is where I would be heading.
haven't taken a look at 30-32 yet I will check those out.
Thank You!

Man I wished they would do something about all the commissioners, gov tags and landowner tags. Needs to be done away with all together but at the very least capped at a couple per unit. Went to G&F meeting and over 50% of quota gos straight to landowners in 124 and in gov and commissioners tags well FMB!!! Cool he drew one as it’s an option but things need to change IMO

How much time does he have to hunt? If it is only like a week or so I would strongly consider getting a guide regardless of where you choose to go. Those tags don’t come along every day. He obviously has his own preferences, but if that were me I would go guided somewhere in the wilderness in the NW corner when the rifle season opens. If I didn’t find a nice bull then, I’d go back late season once they migrated out of the wilderness and I could hunt without a guide or resident guide.

How much time does he have to hunt? If it is only like a week or so I would strongly consider getting a guide regardless of where you choose to go. Those tags don’t come along every day. He obviously has his own preferences, but if that were me I would go guided somewhere in the wilderness in the NW corner when the rifle season opens. If I didn’t find a nice bull then, I’d go back late season once they migrated out of the wilderness and I could hunt without a guide or resident guide.
He is actually planning on taking the entire rifle season in the unit he chooses. I may just have 2 weeks with him. I don't think he is interested in a guided hunt. We would much rather DIY. He would be very happy with a good solid bull but we just want to enjoy ourselves and look at some nice elk along the way. If he gets a big bull that will be icing on the cake.

Thanks everyone for the replies and PMs. I think he is pretty settled on 100 as for now. Seems like it may be a good time to be had. He is planning to hunt the whole rifle season if needed. Some local folks were very helpful as well with helping out with the tag after a few phone calls that are super familiar with the area. Oct needs to get here fast!

Maybe I missed another thread on how this commissioner tag went. Sure would like to see some pics and a story
We had a great time the guest we stayed with were out of this world and treated us like family. Cooked us dinner took us out to the local elks club and bought us drinks and helped process the elk we took and even showed us a nice fishing trip into the mountains. Couldn't ask for more and surely didn't expect it.

Having said all that my buddy did end up hunting 100 and it was a tougher hunt than we thought it would be honestly. We got into elk daily but just small herds of usually less than 4 or 5 elk at a time and maybe a herd or two a day. After the hunt we spoke with some other hunters who reported seeing larger herds East of were we hunted.

The elk was shot on day two of the season after scouting 3 days prior to opening day. Opening day was a little frustrating with lack of sightings and UTV traffic everywhere pushing animals around. We switched gears and tried a new spot we hadn't explored yet on day two and while driving in a small herd of bulls ran in front of us when we were arriving at our final destination to begin hunting. One of the bulls was a solid 6 point and the best bull we had seen after four days of driving around the unit.

We parked the truck and started after the bulls to find them in a large sage flat with sage over the elks head. We could hear bulls bulging 350 yards below us but couldn't see them. Finally the bull we were after stepped out in the only clearing below us and my friend made a 346 yard shot. The pack out was tough every bit of 100 yards I'd say.😂😂

Overall we had a great trip and wouldn't have changed a thing. After the hunt we had lots of time exploring other sites around the State and even got in some fishing.20221010_070140.jpg20221010_070321.jpg20221010_075355.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back