Wyoming bighorn sheep

Well done! I love high country adventures and the next best thing to me being on one is to see thoughtful HT members share with the rest of us. Thank you. Any other hunts lined up the rest of this year?

Thanks everyone, it definitely was a trip of a lifetime.

I had 21 points and decided that I probably should try to use them before Wyoming makes any changes to the NR allocation. I wasn't guaranteed a tag this year, but had pretty good odds and drew the tag.

I started working out consistently when I drew the tag but I must say getting in shape at sea level and then hunting above 10,000 feet will kick your butt. At least it did mine.

I knew all along I would be using a guide since the majority of my unit is wilderness. Luckily my cousin has a real good friend that is a guide and I already had an in with him.

We packed in almost 30 miles on the Saturday before the Wednesday opener. The ride in was nothing short of spectacular. I have never seen country so amazingly beautiful. The scenery alone was worth the trip.

We scouted for 3 days and saw rams every day. They were in some of the roughest places I can imagine. Where those animals live is truly amazing.

Opening morning found us peaking over a cliff to look into a basin where we had seen 15 rams on Sunday. Sure enough, they were still in the basin but over 700 yards away and the wind was howling. We ended up sitting there all day. No way to get closer so we just waited and hoped the sheep would feed our way. It was freezing and there was no cover from the wind which made for a memorable day. Getting to watch all those rams all day just do their thing was unforgettable.

Finally at around 5:30 the sheep had fed close enough and the wind had died down. I was able to shoot my ram almost directly below me which made for an interesting shot. Hiking down to him off those cliffs was a pucker filled adventure. He was everything I had hoped for. Just a beautiful ram taken in some of the most amazing country I've ever seen.

The biologist in Jackson aged him at 8 yrs old. Wyoming has been so good to me over the years and I appreciate how they manage their wildlife and treat the NR hunter. With this sheep I've taken sheep, moose, deer, elk, and antelope in Wyoming and always look forward to returning every year.

That's a dream there! I want to get a Big Horn - wanted to since I was a kid and had a group cross the road in front of us.
And I want to do a Horseback hunt! That's an awesome experience! glad you got to enjoy it to the fullest!

Congratulations great ram! He is cool how far back and deep he drops! What was his length ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back