Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Area 19 draw odds?

a-a-ron

I am new to the site and to all of Fresh Tracks past and present shows. I have been watching Randy's Wyoming hunts and I just can't figure out how he can hunt the same unit which I am assuming is 19 every 2 years for 3 different hunts. That is my unit I have been building up points for and I just can't figure out how he is doing it! Any advice would be much appreciated as I have yest to draw that type 2 tag. Thanks

I am new to the site and to all of Fresh Tracks past and present shows. I have been watching Randy's Wyoming hunts and I just can't figure out how he can hunt the same unit which I am assuming is 19 every 2 years for 3 different hunts. That is my unit I have been building up points for and I just can't figure out how he is doing it! Any advice would be much appreciated as I have yest to draw that type 2 tag. Thanks
Long ago, probably in the special draw, before years of snowballing point creep.

Madtom has the answer.

When your Ford Taurus tranny goes out in Kaycee, get towed to Casper. Spend three days waiting for new tranny. Don't sit around, drive all over Natrona County looking at elk and antelope. Make note of what you see (1999). Go back a few years later for a conference and confirm findings from first trip (2005).

Apply before the research magazines start recommending it. You can draw in the special random or even with one/two points under those situations (2011). Once they start recommending a unit, bail out and head elsewhere. Maybe even help a friend who drew before you did (2009), getting "on the ground" experience as to whether it is worth two points.

It helps to have a friend like Spitz. You can share points on different hunts, at different times, in different states, as you've seen in our many hunts together. Sometimes he'll have the most points, sometimes you'll have the most points. We were at the lowest point level that drew in the PP round, so we don't know if we were the lucky last app pulled in the PP round or if we got lucky in the random round (2013).

I'm lucky to have a long-time friend like Schmaltz who felt he was in no man's land at his point level (2015). A guy like that might ask you (1 point) to do a party app with him and his points. The trade-off is getting the benefit of three different hunts in a unit you live a thousand miles from and have never stepped foot in. And in his case, you can bail on the Wyoming elk point game after burning them and focus on selling optics on Hunt Talk (shameless plug for Predator Optics).

Now that the unit is popular in the research magazines, I don't even think about applying there. There are way better places to invest smaller levels of points, like was previously enough to draw that unit. Once it hits the magazines, the points required to draw any unit becomes way too high to represent value. I'll never apply there again. Wyoming has too many great elk hunts for far fewer points than what that Unit requires.

But, for those inclined to apply there, maybe my blown tranny in 1999 makes for easier research.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back