MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

wyoming antelope

buckwild

hey there. was wondering if anybody had info on anybody i could call to set up a trespass hunt near lusk wyoming. newcastle area. and also if anyboy had some insight on what the mule deer hunting might be like out there. never been before but will be there the first week of october. thanks

there's enough public land in the Thunder Basin Grasslands and BLM and walk in access areas that I don't think you'd need a tresspass hunt

there's enough public land in the Thunder Basin Grasslands and BLM and walk in access areas that I don't think you'd need a tresspass hunt
+1 I'd take a look into the Private Lands Public Wildlife portion of the WY G&F website for walk in and/or Hunter Management Areas. Some of the HMAs limit the number of permits for certain times, so you may have to apply for one of those, but there are generally plenty of non pay options in much of WY.

I hunted in that area last year for the first time, all DIY. I waited too long before I called for a list of landowners and pretty much every single one had someone already paying a trespass fee. It didn't matter though, we decided to go all public and killed out. We shot 2 antelope does, two antelope bucks, and two mule deer bucks between three guys.

The mule deer hunting there would be on a region general B tag. We shot our two small mulie bucks (our first mulies ever) there...probably 35 miles south of Newcastle. We only came across one single group of mulies the entire week and luckily took both bucks from that group. We were mainly antelope hunting though. We bought deer tags just for some added hunting. Im sure if we'd concentrated on deer more, we could have found more and better bucks.

The nice part about a region general tag is that they cover a ton of units and a ton of land. The land we hunted for antelope wasn't the best mulie ground, but other areas within the region are much better. Another tag to consider in the area might be a region general A tag. I don't think the draw odds are 100%, but you'd be able to hunt into the Black Hills where the deer population is much higher. As for region general B tags, there were leftovers last year. It would be too late to get in on general A tag, assuming they aren't 100%, since the lottery date has passed. Check for leftover tags this summer after the lottery results are out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back