Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Antelope Leftovers

Hatchie Dawg

When the draw goes to leftovers, what happens with the "special any antelope" tags?

Last edited:
More specifically I guess, are the undrawn special any antelope tags for sale as leftovers?

Last edited:
Special never get to leftover status.
Remaining Special go to Regular price draw. They add the remaining Regular to the remaining resident and those become "leftover".

Special never get to leftover status.
Remaining Special go to Regular price draw. They add the remaining Regular to the remaining resident and those become "leftover".

This subject came up when I called the game and fish a month or so ago, maybe were saying the same thing but I thought the lady said that the special non resident draw is done first and any not sold go into the 1st choice non resident regular price draw and then any left after that into the second choice non resident and so forth. I guess I may have misheard but I am pretty sure that's what she said.

Last edited:
That's what he's saying Kevin. The Special Draw is first and it goes down the line until all choices for a unit are satisifed in all the draws and then if there are any tags left they go on sale in July on a first come first serve basis.

Remaining Specials don't go to 1st choice specifically, they get added to the 60% Regular quota then divvied up.
While WY has the most helpful staff, draw specific questions should go to the Draw Dept; either Jean or Milissa. It's hard to get to them but the draw process is pretty confusing.

Quota Available for Special Drawing:

7. Total Quota available after Landowner Drawings are Split for Special Draw and Regular Draw
40% (Round UP) quota to Special Drawing
60% (Round DOWN) quota to Regular Drawing

8. Special Drawing Quota is Split for Preference point Drawing and Random Drawing
75% (Round UP) Special Preference Point Drawing
25% (Round DOWN) Special Random Drawing

9. Special Preference Point Drawing is conducted
>> Quota balance is held to be made available for the Regular Drawing
Quota is not rolled to the Special Random Drawing

10. Special Random Drawing is conducted
Quota Available for Regular Drawing:

11. New Quota balance is calculated for each hunt area
Original 60% for Nonresident Regular Drawing
>> Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Preference Point Drawing
>> Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Random Drawing

12. Quota balance available for Nonresident Regular Drawing is split for Preference Point Drawing and Random Drawing
75% (Round UP) Regular Preference Point Drawing
25% (Round DOWN) Regular Random Drawing

Remaining Specials don't go to 1st choice specifically, they get added to the 60% Regular quota then divvied up.
While WY has the most helpful staff, draw specific questions should go to the Draw Dept; either Jean or Milissa. It's hard to get to them but the draw process is pretty confusing.

Quota Available for Special Drawing:

7. Total Quota available after Landowner Drawings are Split for Special Draw and Regular Draw
40% (Round UP) quota to Special Drawing
60% (Round DOWN) quota to Regular Drawing

8. Special Drawing Quota is Split for Preference point Drawing and Random Drawing
75% (Round UP) Special Preference Point Drawing
25% (Round DOWN) Special Random Drawing

9. Special Preference Point Drawing is conducted
Quota is not rolled to the Special Random Drawing

10. Special Random Drawing is conducted
Quota Available for Regular Drawing:

11. New Quota balance is calculated for each hunt area
Original 60% for Nonresident Regular Drawing
>> Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Preference Point Drawing
>> Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Random Drawing

12. Quota balance available for Nonresident Regular Drawing is split for Preference Point Drawing and Random Drawing
75% (Round UP) Regular Preference Point Drawing
25% (Round DOWN) Regular Random Drawing

What's posted above is the math equation through the process that equal's what Top Gun said: The Special Draw is first and it goes down the line until all choices for a unit are satisfied in all the draws and then if there are any tags left they go on sale in July on a first come first serve basis.

The above is for NR Elk. What I didn't show is that after the NR Regular draw, the total number of NR full price licenses that have been issued get tallied. If the number is less then 7,250, they pull full price LE tags and convert them to GEN licenses and conduct a GEN draw for 1st, 2nd, then 3rd choices until they reach the 7,250. This draw doesn't get published and won't show in a draw odds report. This scenario is how you could draw a 3rd choice GEN tag when there are more applicants than tags shown in the Regular price Random draw report (as was the case in 2012).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back