Wyoming 2017 regs

Antler Dad

Does anyone know when your in the Wyoming DNR website, if this is fresh information on there. The reason I ask is the Unit 10 elk used to have a type 6 elk tag valid in the entire unit when i looked into it a month or so ago and when i looked today it says the only tags are a "General" and a type 6 valid on private land only. We were planning on coming out next fall to just hunt cows for the experience and the trip, but I'm a little confused on why the tags we were looking at don't seem to be there anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

ELK AREA 10
AVAILABLE LICENSES

Type 6* (apply for 010-6)

(type description)

Valid for: Area 10
Tentative Limitations: Cow or calf valid on private land
Tentative Open Date: Oct 15

Limited Quota | Reduced Price

* = License types with difficult public access
Type GENERAL (apply for GENERAL)

(type description)

Valid for: Area 10
Tentative Limitations: Any elk
Tentative Open Date: Oct 15

General | Full Price

* = License types with difficult public access

Yep, you took that right out of the new 2017 booklet that just went online on the G&F website yesterday! Things like that can change from year to year and you have to watch and be careful that you don't apply for something based on what was done in years past. Good thing you caught it because without private land access for that cow tag in unit 10 you would be screwed.

Damn, I was afraid of that. Have a friend of my Dad's that lives in Elk Mountain and he knows the area pretty good, but not sure he has much in the way of private for us. I was mainly looking at the medicine Bow NF ground. I guess at least I know its new info and I can start digging up a new plan for us. Thanx for the response Topgun!

This is another good reason to hold the NR elk draw with all the remaining draws. Also, keep in mind that many of the type 6 and 7 tags are open early for just private, then open for the entire unit at a later date. Those aren't going to be listed in this information. The early elk draw is a major pain in the ass for NR's trying to plan as well as the department.

There is simply no way of knowing what changes are going to be made, what final quotas will look like, etc. etc.

IMO, its putting NR's at a severe disadvantage.

Last edited:
Agree 100% BuzzH and I thought the scuttlebutt last year was that the G&F would have to change to the later drawing date this year to be in line with their own statute that they appear to be violating by having that early drawing for elk before final quotas are set. What happened with that?

Last edited:
When there are multiple dates/areas, for an individual "type" tag, the dept lists only the first area and they use a standard opening date when printing the season dates in the NR app booklet. Based on herd counts, they can then move the opening date forward to allow for Cow hunts prior to the any Elk date. They have done that for years in the Bighorns.

Such is the case with the op's unit 10, type 6 tag inquiry. Unless something drastic changes, that tag will have the same three hunt areas, based on dates, that were available in 2015 and 2016. In the end, you do have to roll the dice so It's best to call the local bio just before the close of the draw, as most have their season setting meetings the first of March. Both Bighorn bio's I talked to last year wanted the NR app period move to the end of March at a minimum.

Last edited:
What about in the case of say...unit 7 type 7.

Its not listed at all and NR's don't have the option of applying at all for that one.

I can almost guarantee that there will be type 7 tags available for the resident draw, just like last year.

Even something like a change in seasons dates, that happen AFTER the NR draw, can really impact a NR hunter in terms of other hunts, vacation, etc.

Its a total shit show having only one drawing outside the rest...and in particular before the commission season setting.

Its a total shit show having only one drawing outside the rest...and in particular before the commission season setting.

I agree 100%.
If a NR want's to know what the quotas will be for the NR Elk draw, they're available with a public info request and about $50. And they do sometimes change from the prior year, albeit very little and without Commission approval. If they add a season, a NR gets screwed out of the opportunity to even apply.
Perhaps they get around the rule because it's a quota change and not a new season?

Last edited:
Just last year or the year before (sorry old age and years are flying by), tags were issued for a new season and license type that was NOT approved prior to the commission meeting.

It came close to being cancelled and if I would have pushed the issue hard enough, it would have been. The "safety net' was going to be just making the type 9 tags that were issued, type 1's.

After some serious talking with the department and the commission, I don't think that will happen again. Lots of good reasons for that, from statutory, fairness, public vetting of the new seasons, and allowing the commission to do its job.

Does anyone think it's likely units 10 & 7 will go type 6 valid for anywhere? Thought bout trying a cow hunt but I was surprised to see those changes also.

Just last year or the year before (sorry old age and years are flying by), tags were issued for a new season and license type that was NOT approved prior to the commission meeting.

It came close to being cancelled and if I would have pushed the issue hard enough, it would have been. The "safety net' was going to be just making the type 9 tags that were issued, type 1's.

After some serious talking with the department and the commission, I don't think that will happen again. Lots of good reasons for that, from statutory, fairness, public vetting of the new seasons, and allowing the commission to do its job.

Not trying to hyjack this thread but thought you would be the guy to ask. Planning a archery hunt to 13 this year with the general tag. They have changed from any elk to antlered elk. Does this apply to archery season too or is it always any elk? Thanks

Not trying to hyjack this thread but thought you would be the guy to ask. Planning a archery hunt to 13 this year with the general tag. They have changed from any elk to antlered elk. Does this apply to archery season too or is it always any elk? Thanks

Most likely it will be any elk, which is standard for general in the special archery season. As stated above by BuzzH, that the NR elk application period should be after regs are approved by the Commission.

Does anyone think it's likely units 10 & 7 will go type 6 valid for anywhere? Thought bout trying a cow hunt but I was surprised to see those changes also.

Area 7-6 tags are usually for private land until Oct. 15, when they are good for the whole area. I'm not sure about area 10-6.

Thanks for the info jtm, I am going to go with that and try to get a type-6. Hope it will be valid the whole area like it has been. More affordable to go that tag and try for a cow and if I can't get on elk wont be a big hit in the wallet.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back