Caribou Gear

Wyoming 117 Hunt

Kwiggins

Anyone have experience in the 117 zone? I checked past threads and didn’t really see anything. This will be my first time elk hunting and I put in for a tag in this zone so I am researching areas to go and of course need to start getting gear. I plan to do a 6 day back country type hunt and stay in a canvas tent!

Do you have private access lined up? Guessing you don’t find much info on it because there isn’t much public.

I am going to be hunting public, still in research phase because I’ve never hunted Elk nor have I been to Wyoming so it’s definitely going to be an adventure

To learn about elk like I had too also look at Corey Jacobsen's elk101 online class at elk101.com. When I actually got to seriously hunting elk, I had a young guy teach me what I was doing wrong. I went from getting an elk every 5-10 years to getting one every year (at least a cow). In addition to the elk video's that Randy puts out, Corey's are very good especially dealing with archery hunting. I like Randy's expertise in rifle and general elk hunting. Corey is also a world champion elk calling expert.

If you have the points required to draw it you should concentrate your research on revising your application. Have you looked at an actual map of the unit?

If you have the points required to draw it you should concentrate your research on revising your application. Have you looked at an actual map of the unit?

Yes I have looked at maps of this area several times, my Uncle is a Sherrif in Upton and he said he sees Elk a lot out there so that is why I picked the region. Likely not the greatest region, but a starting point at least

I live in 117

yes there are elk...more in the late season.Not a lot of public ground. And you won’t be back country hunting as most would think of it. You’ll need to find some private access to get into a lot of the public ground.
My cow elk was taken in 117 this past year on a management hunt.

I live in 117

yes there are elk...more in the late season.Not a lot of public ground. And you won’t be back country hunting as most would think of it. You’ll need to find some private access to get into a lot of the public ground.
That’s unfortunate, so is the hunting style different in this area than what I am planning for? Hiking, glassing, etc.?

That’s unfortunate, so is the hunting style different in this area than what I am planning for? Hiking, glassing, etc.?

you can still do some hiking.Public land areas are small. The elk areas will have a good bit of forest.

most of it is more like dark timber hunting.

I live in 117

I drew a 117-2 tag this year. I'd love to pick your brain on the unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back