MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyo Antelope

Zach

Had to make the drive from Denver, CO up to Casper, Wy this morning. All along the I25 route there were plenty of goats for me to rubberneck. Looks like there has been plenty of rain up this way, don't remember seeing it this green and as many little water holes in the past.

Looks to be good year!

Now I just need to come up here for fun and not work.:W:

I agree. Just drove home from MT and especially around Sheridan and Buffalo it was really green with lots of goats. Still extramely snowy in the Bighorns. The main highway to Billings was closed on the way up so we had to take 14 over the pass from Sheridan to Greybull. It was definetly still winter on top.

man thats great news because providing we draw we are hunting the Buffalo area this fall for Pronghorn and deer. can't wait for the draw results and this fall can't get here quick enough

That's good to hear about the antelope. Assuming my buddy and I draw, we will be hunting antelope in unit 75 and deer in Region Y. I'm a little worried about the winterkill in the Bighorns though. I'm assuming the deer don't winter up there but still I'm not sure how bad it will be. If anyone has hunted Region y for deer or 75 for goats, ill take any advice you got. It will be our first trip out to Wyoming. Can't wait for it!

There shouldn't be much winterkill in the Bighorns as the animals all go down out of the high country to the wintering areas down low before the snow gets bad. Up high there is still 6' of snow along Hwy 16 on the south pass and 14a on the north end that is closed all winter has a lot more than that and the road hasn't been cleared of snow yet. In addition to that there were massive rockslides that destroyed the hwy in 2 areas and it may cost close to 1 million bucks to replace it in those areas. It was still snowing a lot up high last week while it was rain down at the lower elevations according to my buddy in Sheridan. There will be some flooding if hot weather comes in and lasts up high this year with the tremendous amount of snow they got starting early in November.

Last edited:
Never been Antelope hunting but you guys have convinced me to give it a try. Anyone recommend an area in Wyoming where you have a chance to pick up a left over tag that has plenty of open land with goats in the neighborhood? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back