Caribou Gear

WY Windmills

I'm not understanding the hate over wind power. Can someone clue me in? I'll be up front and admit I haven't read up on the details how efficient they are in the big picture.

All energy generation has plusses and minuses. Nuke, hydro, coal, solar, etc. Some are easily scaled some aren't. Some are cleaner or dirtier relative to one another. One thing about wind generation that's great: wind is a free and relatively clean source of energy. Sure we can't power the entire grid off of it but no one is saying we should.
Mine is once the wind energy is on Public Lands the use is done except for wind energy. Take a drive thru Wyoming. Kills birds and kills the natural landscape and the woosh woosh woosh kills the peace and disturbs wildlife from the area. If you own private ground and can get the land use permits to allow wind energy I'm fine for the most part

Crazy coincidence, but look what’s rolling up the Mississippi out of New Orleans today. Imported of course vs being built in the US.

Attachments

• 2F5B94B7-E364-4064-AF38-6944562DC8C2.jpeg
    2F5B94B7-E364-4064-AF38-6944562DC8C2.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 10
you're not wrong,

but I'm not sure I would go so far as to call them a joke.
Snopes is misleading. It says 90 percent of wind turbines are recyclable. Doesn't say that 90% actually gets recycled. Then goes on to say its true thousands of blades are in fact buried. At least they owed up to that

Snopes is misleading. It says 90 percent of wind turbines are recyclable. Doesn't say that 90% actually gets recycled. Then goes on to say its true thousands of blades are in fact buried. At least they owed up to that
I find them to be the least mislead of all the sources of info I've come across.

We have hundreds or thousands of those cut up blades being buried in the landfill at the Casper Wyoming dump. Doesn’t really look like they will be disintegrating any time soon. This, and the impact on wildlife is most concerning, along with any public access it may cut off. Less concerned about noise and lights.

What is the difference between state land, and state trust land? Is there a distinction on my gps, or is it all blue?

We have hundreds or thousands of those cut up blades being buried in the landfill at the Casper Wyoming dump. Doesn’t really look like they will be disintegrating any time soon. This, and the impact on wildlife is most concerning, along with any public access it may cut off. Less concerned about noise and lights.

What is the difference between state land, and state trust land? Is there a distinction on my gps, or is it all blue?
Blue block? State trust

Everything I have read is they are a joke. if it was not for being subsidized they are not productive. Then the dirty secret about the blades... google wind turbine blade disposal and click on images. You will not see the green energy people talking about those photos of thousands of them being buried because fiberglass cannot be recycled.
You ever drive by one close as I have hunting antelope on base, the posts are often dripping with hydraulic oil that they use to maintain wind pitch. That oil is sometimes puddle onto the ground and soaking into the soil. So much for conservation and eco-friendliness.

In WY

In Wyoming, all state owned lands are "state trust lands" managed by the State Board of Lands and Investments under terms set by state law. Not all state land is accessible to the public. Some is leased out and restricted as to what you can do. You need to check and make sure they are not restricted before you enter. Most of Wyoming restricted parcels will have a sign that says no hunting or something similar. Some you are not allowed entry at all so check before you go. On On-X restricted state lands will say restricted and if you double click on that and bring up the information sheet for that block of land, it will tell you what the restrictions are.

HOLBROOK — The Navajo County board of supervisors last week approved a 477-megawatt wind farm on land in both Navajo and Coconino counties, but is still urging the developer to address Hopi concerns about the potential impact on eagles and other birds.
Navajo County Supervisors approve massive wind farm
KOP 9: Highway 99, project boundary, southbound — proposed visual simulation.
The 164 wind turbines would fan out over 42,00 acres in Navajo and Coconino counties. That includes the Chevelon Canyon area 18 miles south of Winslow. The 3,700 acres in Navajo County would have eight of the 164 towers, with blades reaching to a maximum height of 755 feet. That’s roughly twice as high as the existing windmills in the area – equivalent to a 60-story skyscraper. They’ll be the tallest man-made structures in Arizona by hundreds of feet.

I was sure surprised to find out how many wind turbines on BLM have a diesel generator attached. They have to guarantee a certain amount of power regardless of if the wind is blowing.

I’ve posted this before, and it probably doesn’t specifically apply to Wyoming, but the impacts to birds go far beyond simply bird strikes.

There is currently work to begin analyzing whether there are similar impacts to grassland birds. I don’t think anyone has a good idea of the full impacts of wind farms on wildlife behavior, stress and avoidance.

What I find hilarious is the same people who cry fowl over windfarms killing birds also refuse to stop using lead ammunition

What I find hilarious is the same people who cry fowl over windfarms killing birds also refuse to stop using lead ammunition
Wind turbines are just do not have enough profit to them. Had a buddy that worked on them and he said you would be surprised on how easily they break and require repairs to even stay running. They do kill a lot of birds and the overall cost to make and maintain compared to how much energy they produce is relatively not that high. Yes leadshot leads to some unnecessary death but it’s doesn’t matter what kind of material they are made out of there will always be wounded animals that die.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back