WY Unit 9 general info requested

NativeIndian

I drew a cow tag for this unit and was looking for any general information on it. Is water plentiful most years, hunter density during archery, non-hunter use, do the cows tend to hang around a certain elevation in this unit, black bear prevalence, etc.?

I'm sure these tags are over subscribed by NR because of the public land, but this is a tough hunt to fill out on, plan lots of time hunting to get your cow.

I'm sure these tags are over subscribed by NR because of the public land, but this is a tough hunt to fill out on, plan lots of time hunting to get your cow.
What is the reason for your thought this is a "tough hunt to fill"? Is it terrain or lack of animals or? I appreciate the feedback.

Check the harvest report. The type 6 had slightly over 11% success. That's low odds killing elk. The area has a lot of recreation activity, including deer and moose hunting and a good portion of the east slope of the mountain was burned, making for open country. Elk either go low to private or high to deep timber when the hunting pressure begins. There are also some road closures on the NF during the season which makes access difficult. I would assume that is in an attempt to get animals to return where they can be hunted.

Later in the season, when the snow starts piling up to the north, elk do migrate back towards the burn area. Hunting as far away from activity as possible is most likely the key to success. Good luck on your hunt!

Check the harvest report. The type 6 had slightly over 11% success. That's low odds killing elk. The area has a lot of recreation activity, including deer and moose hunting and a good portion of the east slope of the mountain was burned, making for open country. Elk either go low to private or high to deep timber when the hunting pressure begins. There are also some road closures on the NF during the season which makes access difficult. I would assume that is in an attempt to get animals to return where they can be hunted.

Later in the season, when the snow starts piling up to the north, elk do migrate back towards the burn area. Hunting as far away from activity as possible is most likely the key to success. Good luck on your hunt!
Thanks JM. I'm generally a park and leave the truck for a week hunter anyways. Appreciate the tips.

Back