Caribou Gear

WY Unit 23 (looking for private land connections)

TN VOL

I know this is a long shot..my teenage and I are about to head back East empty handed from an Idaho archery elk hunt..would love to bring some meat back. Does anyone have any private landowners that do trespass fees hunts in unit 23? I see they leftover tags..if I could find a place to hunt would stop for a few days to try and get a Doe antelope for my son..obviously archery. Thanks for any help..you can pm

I know this is a long shot..my teenage and I are about to head back East empty handed from an Idaho archery elk hunt..would love to bring some meat back. Does anyone have any private landowners that do trespass fees hunts in unit 23? I see they leftover tags..if I could find a place to hunt would stop for a few days to try and get a Doe antelope for my son..obviously archery. Thanks for any help..you can pm
Those tags are left over for a reason. You won’t find a place to hunt the week before the season opens, and if you do it’s going to cost you.

There used to be about three square miles of walk-in along the Johnson/Campbell County line appr. ten miles South of I-90 but that was a few years ago; don't know if it still exists or not. I have one contact about 20 miles South of Gillette along Highway 50 but again that was a number of years ago. They were getting a bit long in the tooth then so they might be out of the game now. I have shared that info with several people over the last several years but never heard back as to whether they were still doing trespass. Good luck!

There used to be about three square miles of walk-in along the Johnson/Campbell County line appr. ten miles South of I-90 but that was a few years ago; don't know if it still exists or not. I have one contact about 20 miles South of Gillette along Highway 50 but again that was a number of years ago. They were getting a bit long in the tooth then so they might be out of the game now. I have shared that info with several people over the last several years but never heard back as to whether they were still doing trespass. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply..wouldn’t the walk in area require a normal antelope tag..they just have the type 2 or 7 leftover which says private land only. If you don’t mind pm the contact info for the private land please..thank you sir

click link
Scroll down and note walkin area 7 is in hunt area 23
Scroll back up and click on “mobile map”
Pan over to #7 icon on map
Zoom in and see walk in area 7 is all private land
Take note of access points and access road
Go hunt with a type 2 license and have fun

Understand that in those high pressure, small walk-in areas there can be dozens of antelope across the road from the hunt area making it a bit frustrating.

Last edited:
click link
Scroll down and note walkin area 7 is in hunt area 23
Scroll back up and click on “mobile map”
Pan over to #7 icon on map
Zoom in and see walk in area 7 is all private land
Take note of access points and access road
Go hunt with a type 2 license and have fun

Understand that in those high pressure, small walk-in areas there can be dozens of antelope across the road from the hunt area making it a bit frustrating.
Thank you sir! I see there’s walk ins in unit 24 with available tags as well.. from your experience are both of those units about the same as one better than the other? I quickly read the job completion reports and it said that antelope or over objective in unit 24 but I’ve also heard there are a lot in unit 23

The walk ins in both those areas get hammered. 23 and 24 are very similar. 24 is a little hillier. Any decent property that allows trespass fee hunting has a long wait list. That said my cousin killed a small buck in the walk in on the western side of 23 is a place I’d never have guessed you would see an antelope. I’d have to desperate to hunt that zoo again. Rode thru there last year just to see the circus, I has tagged out, and the were 6 guys in a circle standing around a small dead antelope, I assuming trying to decide who got him. A little further down there was half a dozen trucks waiting on a lone buck to step off private.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back