Yeti GOBOX Collection

WY Random Tag Odds

drthornton

Doing some research for 2012 hunts. I thought I had the WY draw pretty much clocked but while looking things over I am confused on the Random tag drawing.

Originally I thought that if you applied for a hunt (any choice) you were in the random draw for that hunt should you not draw in the PP pass. I now think that you are only in the random draw for the choice level the PP makes it thru.

example:
Unit 7 Elk only looks at the 1st choice applicants in the PP draw before the alloted tags are assigned so when it hits the random draw only the folks with Unit 7 as first choice at were not drawn in the PP draw are considered.

Is this right?

Thanks

Sounds right to me.

I've never seen anyone get a tag with their 2nd choice unless there were leftover tags after all the 1st choice applicants were given their tag. So to have a chance with your 2nd choice 100% of the folks in the random draw that had that unit listed as their first choice would get tags.

The trick is to identify that and select one of those units with your 2nd choice. There are a few of them out there.

The special draw you can get a 2nd choice tag before the regaular draw tags. I have done that so I can keep my points.
Jay

The special is a completely separate draw from the regular draw. It functions completely independently.

There are cases where you can get a 2nd choice tag in the special draw when that same tag in the regular draw would not be available as a 2nd choice.

The general tag is a perfect example.

The PP draws for the regular price and special price tags and the special price random draw are done before the regular random draw is held. Anyone who did not draw any of their choices in those draws is then placed into the random draw and they have the same chance at drawing a tag in that drawing as those who are just in the random drawing with no PPs. You keep your PPs if you do not draw your first choice and can buy another PP during the summer if you didn't buy it during the licence application period earlier in the year. If you buy the PP during the application period and draw your first choice the F&G will refund your money for the PP and you go to zero for the following year.

Unsuccessful Special price applicants are never placed in the regular price random draw, totally separate draws.
You also will keep your points if you draw a Reduced Price Cow/Calf tag as 1st choice.

I based my comments on the following:

"(C) The order of the nonresident antelope initial drawing set forth in this section shall be Nonresident Landowner Licenses, Nonresident Special Licenses, then Nonresident Regular Licenses. The allocation of remaining licenses after the Landowner License Drawing shall be forty percent (40%) to the Nonresident Special License Drawing and sixty percent (60%) to the Nonresident Regular License Drawing.

(D) The Department shall allocate not less than seventy-five percent (75%) of the available Special and Regular Nonresident antelope licenses to a preference point drawing. The order of the nonresident antelope preference point drawing shall allow individual applicants with the highest number of preference points to be given a drawing advantage for the total number of available licenses to be issued in accordance with this section; then the applicants with the next highest number of preference points shall be selected, and so forth, until the quota has been filled for all first choice selections.

The Department shall allocate up to twenty-five percent (25%) of the available nonresident antelope licenses to a random drawing in which all unsuccessful applicants from the preference point drawing shall be placed. The preference point drawing advantage shall only apply to an applicant’s first choice selection. All unsuccessful applicants in the preference point drawing shall participate in the respective random drawing for all remaining choices, giving no advantage to applicants with preference points."

Last edited:
Never seen anything that actually addresses that, but I'm 99% sure they go over to the regular tag pool.

The General area tag would be a good example, there are generally tags left over in the Special pool, but I've never seen a general tag make it to the leftover pool.

What WapitiBob posted and highlighted is exactly what I stated in my post. Yes, any leftover tags from those special and PP draws go into the random draws and then if there are still any tags left they go on sale in July on the net in a first come-first served manner.

Topgun, the way I read your post is that if I put in for the special pp draw and am unsuccessful I will still have 2 more chances to be drawn, special random and regular random. My understanding was that I would only have 1 more opportunity to be drawn, the special random which is the way I read what WapitiBob pointed out. Am I missing something?

What I meant to say in my first post and what I actually said after rereading it was a contradiction. What WB stated is correct in that you have a second chance in the random draw that is in the category you put in with PPs and everyone is treated the same in it regardless of how many PPs you had in the drawing where you failed to get your tag. After all the draws are completed, then any tags that may be left are put on sale in July to whomever gets there first until they are gone.

Brittany, only the left over tags move from the Special Random to the Regular Random draw, then if some still remain, they go to the Resident draw.

To rephrase, you are in EITHER the Special draw or the Regular draw, never both. And, only the remaining random tags can move. The tags can move because there is a set allotment of NR tags. Within that whole NR allotment we have three (3) restrictions. "No more than" a percentage can be held back for the Special draw and, only a certain number of tags can be drawn in the PP draws (special and regular). So, with those restrictions in place, the tags that don't get drawn in the Special side random draw can only go one place, and that's the Regular side random draw. Then, because we have the same lawyer speak defining the main NR allotment as "no more than" "up to", etc, any tags remaining after the NR draw go to the Resident draw.

I posted this on Monster Muleys to answer a similar question on WY. It might help here:

"They look at your app and match it to the hunt you pick, all 1st choices looked at first, so, you will be in the pref point draw 1st. If the tags have been taken by guys with more points than you, you will then go to the random draw for that 1st choice hunt. IF those tags are gone, you then go to the 2nd choice draw where points don't count (allegedly). When they get to your app, they look to see if there are any tags left for the hunt you picked. If there are, bingo.

I hunt WY Antelope on 2nd choice tags. Some are virtually guaranteed. If you want to hunt on a 2nd choice tag, you need to "carefully" pick your 1st choice hunt and be equally diligent in picking the 2nd choice hunt. You have to look at the demand indexes for the species/weapon type you are trying to draw to see if there are 2nd choice tags available."

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation WB. That's pretty much the way I thought it went down. The demand for antelope tags is sure increasing. It wasn't that long ago you could draw a good second choice in the regular and most leftovers never sold out. Not anymore. I want to learn more about the elk draws. Seems like there's a lot of good choices, I just need to narrow it down.I don't care for the 5 day bull season here in E. Oregon so I've gone to hunting cows. The hunts still the same and I go mainly for the meat but I would like to hunt bulls again before I get to old to pack meat.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back