WY mule deer and elevation

justinch

I'm curious if elevation is a deciding factor for any of you when choosing a spot. If all other factors were the same, would you prioritize higher elevation spots in early season? Early being the first week of September.

4th year in WY and we've never really hunted above 9000', where it starts to get a little rockier and less green. Most of our hunting in previous years has been between 7500' and 8500', and we've had success. There are some spots between 9500' and 10,500' that look promising on the computer. Would you check it out up there?

Good buck habitat is good buck habitat in my experience...complex landforms, steep and/or rough topography, hidden folds, seclusion, etc. Quality can be found from valley floor to mountain top in the areas I'm familiar with, it just depends on the kind of hunt you want.

Good point. We've usually been able to find them at any elevation, once you learn their behavior and preferences. Having said that, if it looks good, it's probably worth a visit.

I have also noticed that after the first weekend of the season, I regularly find good amounts of deer about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off of roads in draws or on the other side of ridges. Sometimes I will get out of the truck and only walk 50 to 100 yards just so I can see down in the draw. And low and behold there are a few deer in there. Just off the road.
In my experience elevation has little to nothing to do with where they will be. It is all about the habitat and the pressure.

great feedback, thanks. depending on the area, they can really become immune to vehicle traffic.

I have also noticed that after the first weekend of the season, I regularly find good amounts of deer about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off of roads in draws or on the other side of ridges. Sometimes I will get out of the truck and only walk 50 to 100 yards just so I can see down in the draw. And low and behold there are a few deer in there. Just off the road.
In my experience elevation has little to nothing to do with where they will be. It is all about the habitat and the pressure.
This^

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back