Caribou Gear

WY Meat Locker

Flatrock

Does anybody know of any meat locker's in either Sheridan or Buffalo? And just in general, when you are going to a new place to hunt, how do you go about finding a meat locker? My buddy and I will need a place to leave our antelope meat somewhere before we go deer hunting. Thanks.

There is a good one right off Hart street. Bighorn Meat Co. 307-684-5387

Thank you Terry, I appreciate that.

I had tried Google and yellow pages but was not having any luck at all. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Your welcome man. I will be hunting in Buffalo area this yea rfor deer and antelope with my wife starting around Oct 5th. Can't wait. Good luck to you

We used this one in 2009, just NW of Sheridan. I don't recall the cost, but they did a good job.

DSC09824resize-1.jpg

PA hunter, I called them today and they said that they don't really accept animals unless you want them to process it. Did they process it for you or did you just drop off some meat for a few days?
Bighorn Meat's said that when I get out there to call them and they SHOULD be able to accomodate me. She said that she couldn't guarantee it though....

It's really hard to find a meat processing company here that will just let you hang the meat. Most want to process it.
Here's what I do. We bone out the meat usually at kill site or on the tailgate.I then put the meat in a plastic bag (get the good ones) be sure to have evidence of sex on a hind quarter.Depending on the animal put the meat so its going to make a layer where the meat is laying side by side preferably the pieces not on each other. Put a layer of meat in the bottom of a large good plastic cooler. Put layer of ice about 3 inches thick, next layer of meat, ice again until full with ice on top. Now when you get to the motel put the cooler in the bathtub with the drain spout open. Pack extra Ice around the drain spout on the inside to drain better. This allows the meat to not get a lot of water in the cooler that may work it's way into the meat sacks. Now once the meat gets cool it will take less ice to keep it that way. Also you can put the horns in the bath tub also. Most motels will allow this. Just take it all out when you want to bath or shower right?
Try to keep each animal in it's own cooler in case you have to show it to a game warden he can see it easier and make sure of evidence of sex left on one hind quarter. I got a warning about that one fall, he said the 4 pt bull elk antlers could have come from another elk. But he knew I had hunted for years in his area and knew I was a honest guy. You can also do this at camp if your going that way. Yah, this way kinda sucks and takes alot of coolers, but I have did everything from Moose to game birds this way for over 35 years.
If I am not using a pickup I take one of those carriers that fit on the hitch, or the coolers can be cab mounted if you have rails.

talk to them about boning-and-bagging. They will bone it and freeze it for you. It travels really well in this condition.

I have used both of these, and I would go with Valley over Bighorn Meats. Bighorn is really expensive. I would give them both a call and ask about pricing. If you are hunting south of Buffalo there is a guy in Kaycee who has a really small operation, but does a good job and is really inexpensive. I will try and track down his number.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back