Yeti GOBOX Collection

WY game unit 36

Foxtrot1

Hi Guys,

Next year I have the opportunity to hunt 1000 acres of private land in WY unit 36, if I am luck enough to draw. There are three in our group and I am a little nervous about putting all of our "eggs" into one basket with the small size of the ranch. We have done several hunts own our own, but not for pronghorn. There doesn't seem to be much public land to fall back on. We were hoping to try a deer/ antelope combo. Historically the ranch has held antelope but I am not sure about deer. Should we try this ranch-area or should we try to draw another unit with more public land? The thought of limited access private land is appealing, but I am worried about driving 3000 miles to hunt 1000 acres i have never seen. What do you guys think?

Personally I wouldn't rely on that small piece of property for 3 people for 2 different animals.like that without knowing a lot more about it than you do. That entire unit has just a few sections of state land spread out all over and I don't believe a lot of it is legally accessible. I would probably be looking somewhere else or see if there are other ranches near or adjoining that 1000 acre piece that are accessible for a fee and firm something up before committing to the unit in the draw.

Thanks for the reply, Topgun. Thats kind of where I was leaning. We are still in the planning phases and I am working on getting aerials for the property. Atleast one of the group is "IF"y on the trip, so it may become more realistic for two of us, especially if we drop the mule deer tags. But I would rather look for other units if we are able to draw. We only have a couple of preference points, so our options may be limited. We may can come back and pick up a left over tag in 36.

Check on the availability of a regional deer tag, if you can draw that it might open up some more public access. Might also want to see if there are any walk-in hunt areas in the unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back