WY Elk Unit 98

Congrats on your success. We were in the same unit during the same period. At 9500' it was dumping snow in huge amounts. Yes, it is very thick and glassing is tough unless you climb a lot of elevation and even then it is hard to see too much. If my freezer is still low in December, I might drive down and take advantage of this tag that converts to a cow tag in late parts of the season.

Thanks, folks! We were camped at ~9375' and it was way colder and snowier than we anticipated when we planned the trip. Definitely buying a wall tent with a heater for next year if we hunt a similar unit/elevation. We never hunting the mornings because none of us could get warm and motivated enough to get out of our sleeping bags. Although fwiw, multiple people told me the hunting was better down where we were because of the heavy snow up in the higher elevation wilderness areas. Forced the elk to move downhill a bit.

Curios.. What tag converts to a Cow Tag?

Congrats on your success. We were in the same unit during the same period. At 9500' it was dumping snow in huge amounts. Yes, it is very thick and glassing is tough unless you climb a lot of elevation and even then it is hard to see too much. If my freezer is still low in December, I might drive down and take advantage of this tag that converts to a cow tag in late parts of the season.

Does a General unit tag convert to a cow tag? I looked in the book and didnt see it in there

Forgot to post about this: we went back to the same area this year with a bull tag and a much improved camp setup (wall tent, stove, cots). Weather was the total opposite of last year: it was warm and dry, crunchy leaves underfoot everywhere. Saw a bunch of elk sign but none of it was fresh, and from what we could tell by talking to other folks, many of the elk were staying up in the Wilderness area (where we, as non-guided non-residents, were not allowed to hunt). Saw two elk in 8 days of hunting, and it was just their asses as they ran off (I think they were cows but didn't get a look). Heard a total of four bugles during that time, but at least two of them I know were another hunter because we saw them afterwards.

Pretty frustrating, but that's how it goes. Beautiful country. Just need the weather to cooperate next time.

Gave this unit another try this year with the even worse results. Saw some fresh elk sign this time but only heard a handful of bugles, never saw an actual elk. If you're considering this unit, some advice:
- Go with a resident or go guided. If you're trying to rifle hunt during the rut and you don't get a lucky early storm to push the elk down, most of them are going to stay up in the wilderness area.
- Bring an ATV or pack stock. The road in the area we were hunting was super rough so we just hiked everywhere, but that limited our mobility considerably.
- Go later in the season. I imagine you'd be more successful after snow sets in, but the point of this hunt for me was trying to hunt them during the rut so we've always scheduled it for Sept 20-30.

Next year, I'm just taking the plunge and going archery in a different state where I'm allowed to hunt wilderness.

Thanks for the update. I should be able to draw a general tag next year and though I already knew about the non resident wilderness aspect it was something I been giving thought to. I
Really don’t want to hunt with a guide so I’m guessing I won’t be in the wilderness area. Unless the guide is allowed to pack me in and leave me hunt alone for my trip.

It’s great to see a report from several years in the same spot. Always interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back