WY Elk Unit 39

I'm curious if anyone has experience in this Unit on a type 1 rifle tag for elk. Looking at the data, with 6 preference points, it appears to have fairly good success rate (around 50%). I'm looking for a public land unit closer to Montana if possible with good opportunities at a mature bull. Not looking for any secret spot info, rather just information on whether this unit is a worthwhile use of 6 points, or if I should bank up a few more years of points for another unit. Appreciate the info. Thanks.

I hunted there this fall in archery with a type 9 tag. I can't speak to the hunting experience during rifle season but would be happy to discuss the terrain, etc.

I’m just starting to build points and have been going back and forth on which Bighorn mountain unit to target (37 general, 38 rifle limited, or 39 rifle limited). I’ve also considered a few on the west side of the mountain range. Like the original poster, I would greatly appreciate any general guidance/comparisons on hunting pressure, access, and October weather.

October weather in Wyoming is like my wife - variable and highly volatile with the likelihood of wild swings in a short period of time.

Welcome to HT! You're unlikely to post a unit number for the world to search and expect to get any real info. Mostly just the generic stuff you can find on GoHunt. There's probably some info posted already but if you're just starting to build points it'll be a whole different world by the time you can actually draw. Someone on here will probably let you know they all have pressure on the roads and easy to access areas.

I'm curious if anyone has experience in this Unit on a type 1 rifle tag for elk. Looking at the data, with 6 preference points, it appears to have fairly good success rate (around 50%). I'm looking for a public land unit closer to Montana if possible with good opportunities at a mature bull. Not looking for any secret spot info, rather just information on whether this unit is a worthwhile use of 6 points, or if I should bank up a few more years of points for another unit. Appreciate the info. Thanks.
Dale Brisby?

I hunted it with a cow tag once. Or should say, I attempted to hunt it. The area received about 18" of snow the day after I got there so I hunted one evening, found a few elk that I couldn't get to, and then couldn't get anywhere after the snow the next day. I believe the snow mostly melted off during the next two weeks, but I didn't have the vacation time to drive back out.

I hunted 38 3 years ago. Right on the 39 border. Kind of the same thing as Walkathon experienced. It started snowing the night before the opener and finally ran us out 4 days later with about 20” where we were. Snow blowing sideways with strong winds and drifts that eventually kept us out of the country we wanted to hunt. My son and I had tags and my wife came along for the fun of it. Was pretty miserable, so not much fun for her. But we both filled our tags. We saw a pretty good number of elk. I think 39 would be a good choice if/when you have enough points.

Drawing it. I hope you’re young or really lucky!
Neither, just turned 61, and NOT very lucky! I figure the way the odds of getting a tag are going, I may draw one more elk tag in WY before I can no longer hunt. I want to have a good hunt and hope to come back with a bull, but not being allowed into the wilderness is a real bummer at times. Hunted north of Dubois once and we could hear the bulls bugling from the wilderness boundary, frustrating!

Neither, just turned 61, and NOT very lucky! I figure the way the odds of getting a tag are going, I may draw one more elk tag in WY before I can no longer hunt. I want to have a good hunt and hope to come back with a bull, but not being allowed into the wilderness is a real bummer at times. Hunted north of Dubois once and we could hear the bulls bugling from the wilderness boundary, frustrating!
Like Randy says.... don't be a point collector. Go after a general hunt.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back