Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WY Elk Unit 39

I hunted 38 3 years ago. Right on the 39 border. Kind of the same thing as Walkathon experienced. It started snowing the night before the opener and finally ran us out 4 days later with about 20” where we were. Snow blowing sideways with strong winds and drifts that eventually kept us out of the country we wanted to hunt. My son and I had tags and my wife came along for the fun of it. Was pretty miserable, so not much fun for her. But we both filled our tags. We saw a pretty good number of elk. I think 39 would be a good choice if/when you have enough points.
Thanks for the input. Based on the online scouting and research on the unit, I think I'll give it a whirl this year. It's a lot closer than my normal Montana elk hunting spots, so should be able to spend a good amount of time out there this coming year.

Like Randy says.... don't be a point collector. Go after a general hunt.
I don't want to collect points, but my buddies only have 1 point, so I may need to wait until we can average what it will take to draw. Then, we'll need to figure out where to go that doesn't have the elk locked up in the wilderness areas.

Typical weather for Bighorns. You might end up leaving your camper there until spring.

Attachments

• Wyo Weather.jpg
    Wyo Weather.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 45
Back