• Go for the better odds cow tag

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Shoot for the moon with the bull tag

Votes: 37 66.1%
  • Neither go for the general

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

WildWill

With app season here my wheels have been spinning and I'm trying to get my plans finalized. The first app due in my schedule is Wyoming elk. Burned my points this year on a type 4 tag with my nephew in a great unit and we were both successful. I plan on applying in the same unit but am torn between applying for the cow tag or the bull tag. My only chance of drawing either will be in the random draw and the odds for the type 4 tag are astronomically higher than the type 1 tag. On the other hand I'd love a bull tag in this unit that I'll never have the points for. I'll be applying for a antelope tag in Colorado I'll definitely draw and if that falls through I have the points to draw the region I want in Wyoming for deer. So with a backup and a backup for my backup it seems like the perfect time to shoot for the moon. Always could just go for the general great tag especially when you consider it'll be close to a decade before I would likely draw it again. So what would you do?

Can you pull Type 4 as a 2nd choice? Pricey for a cow but might be worth it. And just lie if you need to keep your cover. Haha.

Can you pull Type 4 as a 2nd choice? Pricey for a cow but might be worth it. And just lie if you need to keep your cover. Haha.
If I sprung for the special almost certainly could but as you said a bit pricey for a cow tag. Although it certainly isn't going to get any cheaper.

I’d go for general bull tag and if drawn research to find the best unit you can.

I’m sitting on four points and am very frustrated with the point creep and possible WY changes.

If I understand what you’re saying, you burned your points last year so you’re sitting at zero correct? If that’s the case this year is your best shot at drawing a bull tag not being in the points pool. If I have this correct it’s a no brainer go for it

If I understand what you’re saying, you burned your points last year so you’re sitting at zero correct? If that’s the case this year is your best shot at drawing a bull tag not being in the points pool. If I have this correct it’s a no brainer go for it
I am thinking you don't understand how the WY drawing works. EVERYONE goes into the PP drawing first, this is 75% of the non-resident tags. Those that are unsuccessful in the PP draw, are put into the RANDOM draw (which has 25% of the non-resident tags). Obviously at 0 PP points, MOST areas he will have 0% chance of drawing.

If the OP is fine hunting somewhere else, might as well "shoot for the moon" in the RANDOM pool.

• Haha
Reactions: DJ1
Back