Yeti GOBOX Collection

WY BLM land access

Jchristians

Hello. I’m going on an elk hunt in Wyoming. I’ve been researching my unit and there is a big chunk of BLM land. I am confused on how to access it. Do I need to call the blm office and ask or is it just open to the public? There is legal access to the land

Hello. I’m going on an elk hunt in Wyoming. I’ve been researching my unit and there is a big chunk of BLM land. I am confused on how to access it. Do I need to call the blm office and ask or is it just open to the public?
You need to determine if there is legal access.

As long as there is legal access you should be good to go, but consider that most BLM is under some type of lease/permit(s) for things like livestock grazing, oil wells, mines etc so be respectful of gates, think about where you're shooting and such. You can't drive through private inholdings unless you're on a public road.

Talk to the biologist in the area to confirm there's elk down on that land during the time you plan to be there, a lot of the lower elevation BLM lands in that area don't get many elk until winter.

Just call the regional FW office for that unit and ask about access exactly where you think you can. They are generally super helpful.
You can find the contact info right in the hunt planner. Just look up your unit and go to details.

Back