Caribou Gear

WY Blackhills whitetail

Carl 9.3x62

I'm planning an antelope hunt up near Sundance here in a couple weeks and was thinking of hunting whitetail and turkey in the Blackhills while I'm up there. I've heard there are lots of whitetails up there, as well as hunters. Anyone ever hunt deer around there? Seems like a fairly easy hunt if you aren't picky. I would like to shoot something bigger than a yearling, but otherwise am not picky.

Reactions: LCH
Not bad hunting but snow can limit you. They deer get pushed own somewhat with enough snow, on to private that is.
Get back off the roads and you'll see way fewer hunters.

I'm planning an antelope hunt up near Sundance here in a couple weeks and was thinking of hunting whitetail and turkey in the Blackhills while I'm up there. I've heard there are lots of whitetails up there, as well as hunters. Anyone ever hunt deer around there? Seems like a fairly easy hunt if you aren't picky. I would like to shoot something bigger than a yearling, but otherwise am not picky.

I hunted the hills a fair bit the first few years we lived in Wyoming, then went back last year again.

Deer numbers were good saw multiple bucks a day, turkey numbers weren't nearly as high it didn't seem like.

Just like everywhere else, put in a bit more effort and hunt smarter than the next person, you'll find bucks.

I shot one whitetail buck on a type 3 tag on the way up and then shot another whitetail buck on my general tag in the hills.

Nothing special on either buck.

IMG951718.jpg

IMG_1502.JPG

I hunted up there a few years ago on a leftover tag (see my avatar picture). If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you some of my research.

Someone beat me to the spot. I guess if I snooze I lose! May try again in the morning. Saw more deer today, but nothing to seal the deal on.

Carl - I’m curious as to where you saw mule deer on public land. We are returning this year for another trip. Last year we only found whitetail.

Carl - I’m curious as to where you saw mule deer on public land. We are returning this year for another trip. Last year we only found whitetail.
Nowhere in particular. I think EHD went through shortly after I hunted up there so maybe the mule deer numbers are still down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back