Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY bison results

masmcclintock

Against all odds my brother and I BOTH, yes BOTH drew WY bull bison tags! We applied separately, but somehow were both successful. We live in Texas, so it is unlikely that we will be able to make a trip other than when we go hunting for them. We hunted WY for elk last year in Sept and were successful on an archery bull, but that is the only time that we have been to WY for hunting purposes.

I have a baby coming in mid-December, so my main question is to see if anyone has hunted for bulls up there before, and if so, when can you find them on huntable property? Thanks in advance! We are in shock to have the opportunity at such coveted tags!!!

-Mason

Congrats! Talk with the biologists and wardens for the zone you drew. Seems weather-dependent and the animals may drift onto land you can hunt then one shot and they are gone for a day or more. If you belong to Huntin'Fool or Epic then get the prior hunter list from them. Those hunters should be willing to share quite a bit as the bison tag is not a tag they and their family would draw often. You might consider waiting for animals to get moving then hop a plane. There are removal companies that can access the bison to drag off public with horses or vehicle. I have been told that the meat from a bison will fill a lot of coolers that in turn can fill up the bed of a pickup truck. Might consider either donating some of the meat or getting some made into jerky. I presume you are still eating on the elk and they are a lot smaller. Good luck and post the story of the journey here, if you will.

You'll find lots of folks willing to give info, congrats!
Don't know where in Texas you're from but a drive from DFW to Laramie is about 12 hrs, Jackson is another 6 hrs or so . Leave some road closure days for travel as well.
A mature bull and a slightly younger one will yield lots of great meat, take it all home . Bison burger instead of jerky would be my recommendation. If you need to get rid of some before the trip home, we live in Laramie, right on your way.
Mtnhuntr will have some great advise.

Thanks for the PMs and info in the thread! We could not be more excited and still in disbelief that this is actually going to happen! With a second child on the way in December, it would be ideal to go on this hunt in October, so hopefully there will be some bulls on public that time of year. We are already scheming about our dream situation of pulling off a double on archery bulls, and whether or not we need to bring a semi refrigerated truck for all of the meat!.....and we can all dream of one dropping 5 yards form the road like Randy did this past year!!! What a pack out!

Thanks for the PMs and info in the thread! We could not be more excited and still in disbelief that this is actually going to happen! With a second child on the way in December, it would be ideal to go on this hunt in October, so hopefully there will be some bulls on public that time of year. We are already scheming about our dream situation of pulling off a double on archery bulls, and whether or not we need to bring a semi refrigerated truck for all of the meat!.....and we can all dream of one dropping 5 yards form the road like Randy did this past year!!! What a pack out!
Took a trip last spring for bear with 5 guys we brought a generator and a chest freezer in a enclosed trailer. Works great once you get something to load up. Good luck!

I live in Laramie too if you guys need to off load some meat on your way back, haha. Congrats to you both, sounds like it will be an epic hunt!

I drew that tag too! But I am a resident of Wy. Kinda in the same boat, I work overseas hope to get back to the states mid sept and hunt for at least a week or two in Oct.
(Depending on how elk season goes). But I would love any tips anyone has for me. My cousin is going up and scouting and trying to find a camping spot for us in Aug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back