Caribou Gear Tarp

WY Area 7 - Veterans Hunt - Anyone Scouted it?

You'll have zero issues if you're willing to walk a half mile. As stated above, road hunting will be common, but there are so many other options.

Hello All,
New to the forum and will be going after Pronghorn for the first time this year. Myself and 5 other combat Veterans all drew tags for Buck Antelope in area 7. We all live out East and have had NO chance to scout the area other than on maps and reading posts.
Wondering if anyone is in that area or has hunted it before and has any tips about which public lands and Walk-in areas hold some decent numbers.
We are not looking for huge trophies, just good representatives of the species and some meat for the freezer.

Please let me know if you can, and have a safe and successful season.

Ben
I've hunted this area 2 years in a row and had a blast. Ill send you a PM and can give you more info

If you call the local game warden you might get lucky. Mention that you are vets. In 21 years of success with lopes....be willing to do some walking. It will pay off big time And road hunting is lame anyways. Call the UW geology dept. and buy some first rate maps. 3077662286. They are super friendly and can sell you some 1:24 maps that will help a lot.
I spoke with them a few months back, Will re-engage them in the next few weeks. We are looking forward to the walk, so getting away from the road will not be a problem. Excited to spend time wandering the WY countryside.

There is a GEOsurvey office on campus at UW, you can get BLM land status maps and topos for a good price. Hard to find the building or parking but I can steer you to the right place.

I spoke with them a few months back, Will re-engage them in the next few weeks. We are looking forward to the walk, so getting away from the road will not be a problem. Excited to spend time wandering the WY countryside.
One thing I see with out of staters is that their camo is too dark. I don’t even like the crap they sell at sportsman’s warehouse here. The best thing I ever found Is desert storm camo. Got pants and jacket at goodwill for 10$. Digital is ok For a second choice. Easy to stick out like a sore thumb on the prairie. Go light colors like light tan. Kings sells a desert pattern that is ok but it is a bit dark. If all else fails just wear tan pants and jacket/shirt.

One thing I see with out of staters is that their camo is too dark. I don’t even like the crap they sell at sportsman’s warehouse here. The best thing I ever found Is desert storm camo. Got pants and jacket at goodwill for 10$. Digital is ok For a second choice. Easy to stick out like a sore thumb on the prairie. Go light colors like light tan. Kings sells a desert pattern that is ok but it is a bit dark. If all else fails just wear tan pants and jacket/shirt.
That is great advice, thank you. we all have desert camo from past deployments, this will be easy.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

I was there two years ago. Like others have said get away from the roads and you'll be fine. It was pretty easy to find spots to ourselves with a little walking. Don't overlook some of the smaller out of the way pieces as well. My dad and I had a blast in 7, even after being nervous from reading about how it can be a gong show at times. We mostly stuck to the central and south central portion of the unit.

I was there two years ago. Like others have said get away from the roads and you'll be fine. It was pretty easy to find spots to ourselves with a little walking. Don't overlook some of the smaller out of the way pieces as well. My dad and I had a blast in 7, even after being nervous from reading about how it can be a gong show at times. We mostly stuck to the central and south central portion of the unit.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back