Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY Area 7 - Veterans Hunt - Anyone Scouted it?

BenJ-Alabama

Hello All,
New to the forum and will be going after Pronghorn for the first time this year. Myself and 5 other combat Veterans all drew tags for Buck Antelope in area 7. We all live out East and have had NO chance to scout the area other than on maps and reading posts.
Wondering if anyone is in that area or has hunted it before and has any tips about which public lands and Walk-in areas hold some decent numbers.
We are not looking for huge trophies, just good representatives of the species and some meat for the freezer.

Please let me know if you can, and have a safe and successful season.

Ben

Not scouting won't be much of a handicap. Read the WG&F public access summary if you haven't already. Mark all possible access points you can find on onX or GoHunt maps before you get out there.

Not scouting won't be much of a handicap. Read the WG&F public access summary if you haven't already. Mark all possible access points you can find on onX or GoHunt maps before you get out there.
Got those marked! Thanks for the feedback.

Wyoming hunt planner is your friend. Everything you need to know if you look for it. Maps, notes, everything
Access Notes - A disproportionately large amount of antelope harvest in this area comes off public or Walk-In Area lands. Private land opportunities exist for those willing to secure permission to hunt, but access fees and outfitting are common. Most of the accessible public lands are on the Thunder Basin National Grasslands. Hunters should consult the Thunder Basin National Grasslands Travel Management Map for travel and camping restrictions there. A GPS or smart phone application with mapping program and landownership delineations can come in handy, and hunters need to be careful to use only open public roads or private roads with permission, as roads can appear to be open or public on mapping software when they are in fact closed or private.

I live in that zone.

I can tell you from helping G&F with counts the numbers are down.....but it should still be doable.

I drew that zone as a second choice this year....all I do in that zone(has a lot of pressure)...is go to the walk-in sections....and get to where I can’t see the road. Set up and wait for an hour or two...

More than likely something will get pushed by.

When counting I did see two really big goats....in general it is not a trophy zone.

Wyoming hunt planner is your friend. Everything you need to know if you look for it. Maps, notes, everything
Access Notes - A disproportionately large amount of antelope harvest in this area comes off public or Walk-In Area lands. Private land opportunities exist for those willing to secure permission to hunt, but access fees and outfitting are common. Most of the accessible public lands are on the Thunder Basin National Grasslands. Hunters should consult the Thunder Basin National Grasslands Travel Management Map for travel and camping restrictions there. A GPS or smart phone application with mapping program and landownership delineations can come in handy, and hunters need to be careful to use only open public roads or private roads with permission, as roads can appear to be open or public on mapping software when they are in fact closed or private.

Everything except which roads are in fact public, check with the county Road and Bridge for that.

I live in that zone.

I can tell you from helping G&F with counts the numbers are down.....but it should still be doable.

I drew that zone as a second choice this year....all I do in that zone(has a lot of pressure)...is go to the walk-in sections....and get to where I can’t see the road. Set up and wait for an hour or two...

More than likely something will get pushed by.

When counting I did see two really big goats....in general it is not a trophy zone.
Thanks for the input. We are planning on walking a lot.

Hello All,
New to the forum and will be going after Pronghorn for the first time this year. Myself and 5 other combat Veterans all drew tags for Buck Antelope in area 7. We all live out East and have had NO chance to scout the area other than on maps and reading posts.
Wondering if anyone is in that area or has hunted it before and has any tips about which public lands and Walk-in areas hold some decent numbers.
We are not looking for huge trophies, just good representatives of the species and some meat for the freezer.

Please let me know if you can, and have a safe and successful season.

Ben
If you call the local game warden you might get lucky. Mention that you are vets. In 21 years of success with lopes....be willing to do some walking. It will pay off big time And road hunting is lame anyways. Call the UW geology dept. and buy some first rate maps. 3077662286. They are super friendly and can sell you some 1:24 maps that will help a lot.

Back