WY Antelope Draw Odds

Kiwi

Soon I plan to apply for a WY NR type 1 antelope tag. I have selected the units I want to apply for but I'm trying to figure out the approximate draw odds.

When I look at the draw odds for last year I can see that my first preference unit had a quota of 1 for the NR special draw. But does the quota normally change during the draw process so all the NR state-wide quota is given out? This is what happened with the elk draw.

I did try the WY Game and Fish but I didn't really get a clear answer. Don't think the accent helped lol

I have been applying for points in WY but seem to recall the units with lots of tags have enough to have some tags end up in the NR Regular and Special Quota to be awarded.

Tag numbers can increase or decline from last year so you might want to check to see if the tags changed.

For units with a very small number of tags then there might only be one NR tag that would be awarded and that might shift between Regular and Special.

Seems like you are considering a unit with very few tags, though, so you are correct to be asking the question.

Thanks Buzz. I have seen this info but I was trying to see if the quota might change during the draw process. Sounds like it wont.

The only way it would potentially change is based on a few potential things:

1. There may be an additional tag if the total antelope quotas are increased for the unit you're applying for. Not real likely as there weren't many units that had quota increases.

2. If there were not enough NR applicants that applied for the unit you're applying for in the regular fee preference point pool. Any tags leftover from that pool would go to the random special draw. Again, not likely in a unit that is offering only 1 tag in the special NR random pool.

I'm 99% sure your odds are going to be whatever is showing in the link I provided (how many 1st choice applicants applied for the one tag in the unit you're putting in for).

Thanks again Buzz. It was point two I was trying to understand, so thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I'm reading too much into the rules, but if only one more tag was assigned to the unit I would be applying for the the draw odds increase significantly. I probably should just enter the draw now and forget about the analysis :)

There are so many good antelope units that if I was coming from as far away as you are,I'd pick one I was sure to draw.

There are so many good antelope units that if I was coming from as far away as you are,I'd pick one I was sure to draw.
Good point, thanks. My current plan is to try for a difficult to draw unit as first choice (15% odds in 2014) and as a second choice an easy to draw unit (100% odds as 2nd or 3rd choice in 2014). If I still don't draw then I'll look at a left over tag and pick my way through the public land.

Good plan for sure.Think you'll be surprised at hunting antelope after seeing where you guys hunt.Pretty simple to find average bucks in most units just be prepared for some long shots in a lot of wind.Good luck!!Sounds like your going to have a fun trip.You have the elk tag too right??

Good plan for sure.Think you'll be surprised at hunting antelope after seeing where you guys hunt.Pretty simple to find average bucks in most units just be prepared for some long shots in a lot of wind.Good luck!!Sounds like your going to have a fun trip.You have the elk tag too right??

Yip mixedbag, I've got a general elk tag and a point :) Going to try both using a bow and if that's unsuccessful then I have a few days to try by rifle. Going to be a hell of an adventure, can't wait!

What would you consider a long rifle shot? 300 yards?

300 yards is as far as I'd shoot myself,but its wide open country so longer shots are always there.I actually prefer to get within 150-200 yrds.They have great eyesight and stalking close is half the fun.Plenty of targets if you mess up a few times
You picked the right state for your adventure.You trying for a deer tag also??I'd like to talk with you sometime about a trip to NZ.I'd have to do it within next 2-3 years as my back problems are catching up quick with my ability to climb mountains.Its one last place I really would like to see and hunt.I want a diy public land hunt but I can't do extreme stuff anymore.Maybe you could help me with an area where terrain is a little more old guy friendly

My preferred rifle distance is about the same as yours. But I'll also be using a bow and 20 yards is my ideal distance :)

Will focus on elk and antelope for my 2015 trip. If all goes well I will return to hunt again and may try for deer a another time.

There are public land places that are easy (well, for NZ anyway) deer hunting, but they do get a lot of pressure and you'd be very unlikely to get a trophy. Most of the deer don't get a chance to mature. Send me a PM if you want more info. Happy to help.

mixedbag.....I feel your pain. I'm 52 and I've been doing alpine hunts while I still can. In 2013 while hunting tahr I tore my meniscus in my "good" knee. For the rest of the hunt I hobbled around but the hard game was done. Chamois can be found low. I got this guy on gimpy knees.

Attachments

• 20131106_220805.jpg
    20131106_220805.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,038
Kiwi, a 20 yard bowshot may be tough unless your on private over a waterhole.If you sit and watch the antelope for a day you'll see where they like to cross under the fences.I hung burlap on the fence and sat behind it and waited them out and had a 30 yard shot.Now I have a cow decoy to put up on fence that actually attaches to my bow.If they move down to another fence crossing I can follow and it worked well too.With a rifle, they can be pretty easy to get
Definitely will contact you to learn a little more about NZ hunting

Glass eye, you did very well to get a chamios by bow!

Mixed bag, thanks for the tips. Going to be a steep learning curve to try for a antelope. Looking forward to it. Where is the best place to buy a cow decoy?

I bought a Fubu decoy years ago on line.Montana decoys has cow decoys for sale as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back