WY 2024 App Booklet is up

There have been some general areas with some type 9 tags that open September 1 and the general tags with the archery stamp don't open until the 15th for sometime now
In fact, there are some general units with some type 1s as well. To add to the confusion…

With the regions and increase in tags for NR is that just for general tags or will the LE units see an increase in the tags available? Both to R & NR?

sure does. wind river units and some bighorn units got the axe. that snuck up on me. admittedly not exactly keeping up in great detail on the happenings with the commission though.

any others?

what was the reasoning here? @BuzzH

did these just go LE for NR? or for residents too?

What elk hunt areas in the Bighorn Mountains that were general license hunt areas are now limited quota hunt areas?

ClearCreek

What elk hunt areas in the Bighorn Mountains that were general license hunt areas are now limited quota hunt areas?

ClearCreek

we were mistaken. it seems the map is showing general units as units that are only general. units get shaded as LE when the archery tag differs from general or it offers other type 1 licenses in addition to general. or something like that.

Wyoming overall is a great place for resident and non-resident hunters. The worst rule is the wilderness rule. The second negative is the cost of the non-resident moose points and the FACT that anyone with less than 19 points will likely never draw a tag yet non-residents with less than 10 points continue to buy points??? I make a good living and have resources to commit to hunting, but buying moose points is just stupid for non-residents in Wyoming unless you have well above 15 points. I will add that the price for the bison hunt is too high for me. If the State of Wyoming can get people to buy worthless $150 moose points and really expensive bison tags, good for them and the wildlife those fees support. At some point even the hunting mags need to actually recommend people stop pursuing some of these to restore some credibility.

If you are a non-resident spending $150 on moose points - STOP! Go buy some high risk/high reward stocks and hope you hit, then use that money to buy a hunt. Your odds are exponentially better for that stock to hit than you ever getting a moose tag.

gotta assume the worst change in regular odds we'll see due to special prices will be pronghorn?

Do they have the tentative tag lists available yet? I see the hunt planner is updating areas but didn’t see a publication anywhere.

Wyoming overall is a great place for resident and non-resident hunters. The worst rule is the wilderness rule. The second negative is the cost of the non-resident moose points and the FACT that anyone with less than 19 points will likely never draw a tag yet non-residents with less than 10 points continue to buy points??? I make a good living and have resources to commit to hunting, but buying moose points is just stupid for non-residents in Wyoming unless you have well above 15 points. I will add that the price for the bison hunt is too high for me. If the State of Wyoming can get people to buy worthless $150 moose points and really expensive bison tags, good for them and the wildlife those fees support. At some point even the hunting mags need to actually recommend people stop pursuing some of these to restore some credibility.

If you are a non-resident spending $150 on moose points - STOP! Go buy some high risk/high reward stocks and hope you hit, then use that money to buy a hunt. Your odds are exponentially better for that stock to hit than you ever getting a moose tag.
As a resident I buy points for deer in the hope that some day our system in Montana makes them worth having. Could be same thought if they ever change that draw to a bonus you’d want those points

Does anyone else think the Special tag price is just the pig's snout rooting under the fence?
Pretty soon he's coming thru and the non-Special tag prices will sky rocket too making the 90/10 transition financially easier for the G&F. I'm glad antlers aren't a priority for me.

Does anyone else think the Special tag price is just the pig's snout rooting under the fence?

You could be right, but I am not certain that would make 90/10 more likely.

As we have seen in Montana, once a state gets addicted to nonresident money it’s hard to kick the habit.

1200 bucks for nonresident antelope in the special draw! Holy sh!t

I have 5 points across the board and was hoping to use the antelope points in the special draw to go down and hunt with my family in a respectable unit. Might just be on the bonus point sidelines now.

Last edited:

Flying back from Italy with a US ISP finally… looking like it might be an expensive year for me. But burning what little points I have now.

Jokes aside it’s fun to start thinking about 2024

Also curious to see what pronghorn allocations are like a year later… with a mild start to winter

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back