WY 2024 App Booklet is up

I didn't realize how steep the Bison tag cost went up. At over 6k now, do you think that prices a bunch of NR out?

I know its not the same experience but just for comparison, it aligns it just about on par with a guided ranch bison hunt now:

I didn't realize how steep the Bison tag cost went up. At over 6k now, do you think that prices a bunch of NR out?

I know its not the same experience but just for comparison, it aligns it just about on par with a guided ranch bison hunt now:
At $6K you are going to see quite a few upper middle class non-resident applicants taking pause. Joe Six Pack got flushed out on the past big jump in price. (in 2023 were 443 NR applicants for bull bison which is 1/5 of how many apply for sheep and 1/2 compared to mountain goat and 1/40 vs bull elk.

Utah, in comparison, had around 10,000 NR applicants for bull (or any bison). Some Joe Six-Packs can play the UT game.

I don't have a bison on the wall so I look at opportunities since I've got a blank space, baby, between my bull elk and mountain goat. I will not ante up $6K for a low odds harvest of bison involving a tactic of me pacing the park boundary hoping something spooks over the line before the season ends then if do tip a bull or cow over then watch as a tow truck or tea of horses comes over the horizon. I don't have a desire to camp out for weeks and that might be the case if staying until fill the tag or the season closes.

In Africa, I know my Limpopo adventure will be a ranch experience though will very, very high odds of harvest and only the cape buffalo on my list will exceed $6K. I am not hating on the WY F&G shifting to market pricing rather than a much more reasonable price in the range of a bull elk tag since culls out.

I would have more respect for WY if they just took the 5 bull tags that put $30K in the budget which is less than 1/3 of a tricked out Ford truck and instead put the tags on eBay where even the slowest observer of F&G would realize how little WY cares for the 39 out of 40 NR elk applicants that are not participating in the bison game.

anyone have a link to the proposed general elk regions? The map I'm seeing online still shows all the 2023 units and I don't see any general regions.

contemplating cashing in my 9PP in 2024, either on a LE draw or combining with a couple other guys for general licenses...

anyone have a link to the proposed general elk regions? The map I'm seeing online still shows all the 2023 units and I don't see any general regions.

contemplating cashing in my 9PP in 2024, either on a LE draw or combining with a couple other guys for general licenses...

Go to the hunt planner and click on elk and then general regions

Looks like some of the old general units are going LE.

sure does. wind river units and some bighorn units got the axe. that snuck up on me. admittedly not exactly keeping up in great detail on the happenings with the commission though.

any others?

what was the reasoning here? @BuzzH

did these just go LE for NR? or for residents too?

sure does. wind river units and some bighorn units got the axe. that snuck up on me. admittedly not exactly keeping up in great detail on that happenings with the commission though.

any others?

what was the reasoning here @BuzzH ? i assume these just went LE for NR? or for residents too?
I may be misunderstanding the color coding of the map. I see a unit is general for rifle but has a type 9 archery, then it shows up as grey (LE). The only ones that show up as general are if they are both archery and rifle general?? WY must have got pointers from MT on how to "simplify" the regs.

I may be misunderstanding the color coding of the map. I see a unit is general for rifle but has a type 9 archery, then it shows up as grey (LE). The only ones that show up as general are if they are both archery and rifle general?? WY must have got pointers from MT on how to "simplify" the regs.

oh good catch. they should add some shades for general rifle/general archery and just general rifle. i think all of those have always been that way though.

oh good catch. they should add some shades for general rifle/general archery and just general rifle. i think all of those have always been that way though.
When you click on the draw odds, the message is basically “we have no idea, good luck”.

I’m curious what the nonresident general draw odds will be, I have a feeling the odds for the west and south will tank. Selfishly, I’m hoping odds for the east will increase and I can maybe scrounge up a tag. I’ve always wanted to shoot a bull on our old family ranch.

I’m curious what the nonresident general draw odds will be,
Yeah, you and me and everybody else. Fun game, isn’t it? Once they put out the estimated tags, we can get a better guess and what we are guessing at, but still a guess. Some of the tag services will have to convince customers they have it figured out. LOL.

Yeah, you and me and everybody else. Fun game, isn’t it? Once they put out the estimated tags, we can get a better guess and what we are guessing at, but still a guess. Some of the tag services will have to convince customers they have it figured out. LOL.
My official guess is that they’re all going to be worse than expected.

My official guess is that they’re all going to be worse than expected.
Sure, but what does "expected" mean? We already have a thread on this and people are generally pretty pessimistic, but that is a normal negativity bias. We have a large price increase in the Special, the requirement to choose a region, and elimination of the 7250 NR cap (no idea on what that might mean). I think everyone should just sit this year out until we get some idea of what the real odds will be. :sneaky:

Also the price for resident or non resident bison hunt in SD through the state

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back