WV Whitetails.

Fullquiver

I'll be heading to Central WV this fall hunting with some friends. I was wondering if anyone here could share your experience if you've hunted in this area..

Most of central to northern WV is loaded with deer. Some real nice bucks come out of there also in some of those counties. A lot of it has to do with where you are really. I miss hunting up there lived there 4 years.

I've hunted just a little north of there. I think others have said there is the potential for some nice bucks. There is some farm land around so I'd guess it to be a good mix of hardwoods, fencerows, and brushy edges. If you are hunting during archery, I'd bring a climber. That way you can quickly set up on rut activity when you find it. Not a necessity for rifle.

Your friend with the 600 acres will be your best bet for info.
My first question would be, “what do you want me to shoot?”
He might want you to fill all your doe tags, or not. Mature bucks, or not.
Do you have permanent stands on the property? Any agriculture?

The Lewis County area is not where the largest bucks in the state normally are taken but should be a good hunt. 600 acres is a very large farm for that area and hopefully it will not be crowded with other hunters. Most of the larger deer in WV are taken during archery season using corn for bait. Baiting has become the favorite method of deer hunting there and fellows that do not have an established feeder are at a big disadvantage.

What season are you planning on hunting? Has your friend given you any idea of the quality of deer running around the property?

There are a lot of deer in central West Virginia, and an occasional nice buck pops up, but I would be pretty confident in betting that there are very few legitimate 130”+ bucks taken each year. One problem is that a hunter can harvest three antlered deer a year. Even though a landowner might have several hundred acres and antler restrictions on his/her place, the hunters on the adjoining property could very well have stands and feeders set up right on the property line and be willing to shoot anything with antlers. During the rut, or for the sound of feeder going off, the bucks will venture across the property line.

If you don’t set your goals too high and go to West Virginia for the experience, I am confident you will have a good time. Also, you might want to look into a bear license as the bear population seems to be increasing.

Unless he's been doing some QDM on his farm for several years i would say at best your looking at 115-120 inches being a nice buck from that area. You will see a few bucks and allot of does if he has some farm land etc.

Come and have a good time and put some meat in the freezer

Lewis county is one the better producing counties in WV. Some of the biggest bucks in the state are in the southwestern part of the state in the bowhunting only counties McDowell, Mingo, Wyoming and Logan. Those counties are usually the biggest bucks from what I've seen and heard. The terrain is pretty rugged with steep hillsides along creeks and rivers and thick in places. I hunt in the eastern part of the state and have hunted in Spruce Knob and other areas around Dolly Sods with hit or miss bucks. A lot of bucks where I live are living in the bean and corn fields with rivers nearby so people with property on the river and in the river bottoms usually get nice bucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back