Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

WTH Alaska Department of Fish and Game

WA was like this for a long time and sorta still is. They have no shooting zones in there wildlife areas that aren't on mapping, and when I asked about it, they just said, "they're well marked in the field". That's great, but what if I wanted to digitally scout? They also have these large reserve areas, where you're not allowed to hunt. Until just recently the only mapping was an old slideshow from a commission meeting.
I think that, likewise, is totally unacceptable. State agencies have to follow the law and they should be pressed when they don't.

it's a principle thing for me entirely at this point.
Go get em, man! I know this kind of story personally. Had my own little public records “battle” with NYCDOT a few years ago over some construction design specifications. Took about 18 months, but they finally got me what I wanted.

Go get em, man! I know this kind of story personally. Had my own little public records “battle” with NYCDOT a few years ago over some construction design specifications. Took about 18 months, but they finally got me what I wanted.
Yeah, I've gone back and forth with Utah/WA and OR about elk license data before, sometimes I think agencies folks aren't aware of the law?

Yeah, I've gone back and forth with Utah/WA and OR about elk license data before, sometimes I think agencies folks aren't aware of the law?
I agree. Someone at a regional MT USFS office said she wasn’t allowed to give info about outfitter permits in the area (I was trying to avoid their areas). I made a few other calls and got what I needed.

Don't OnX my Alaska Bro.

I really wish they would publish the sub unit boundaries described in the regs book as well. Look at the descriptions for say unit 20. There is about 20 different sub units described with no map. You have to pull up quad maps and cross reference becaise there isnt ebough information shown on the unit map. Its maddening as well as the draw hunt areas.

can you quote "the law"
Depends on the state but here is Alaska

Sec. 40.25.110. Public records open to inspection and copying; fees.
(a) Unless specifically provided otherwise, the public records of all public agencies are open to inspection by the public under reasonable rules during regular office hours. The public officer having the custody of public records shall give on request and payment of the fee established under this section or AS 40.25.115 a certified copy of the public record.

Sec. 40.25.115. Electronic services and products.
(a) Notwithstanding AS 40.25.110(b) — (d) to the contrary, upon request and payment of a fee established under (b) of this section, a public agency may provide electronic services and products involving public records to members of the public. A public agency is encouraged to make information available in usable electronic formats to the greatest extent feasible. The activities authorized under this section may not take priority over the primary responsibilities of a public agency.

(1) “electronic services and products” means computer-related services and products provided by a public agency, including
(G) generating maps or other standard or customized products from an electronic geographic information system;

They are allowed to restrict records of personal information, those having to do with security, or those that pertaining to trade secrets. I don't think unit boundaries fall into those categories.

Colorado has similar laws, while working for a state agency I had a number of requests come it where people asked for shapefiles, .kmz files, and maps. Depending on what was requested and/or how much time was required you could charge for the data, but you provided it. Mostly I provided subsidence data/aquifer maps.

Last edited:
Don't OnX my Alaska Bro.
See that I kinda get... I mean if they don't want OnX to publish the data that's fine, but Bambistew should be able to ask for a map with all of the 20 subunits for a reasonable cost.

There is actually a map on the wall of the check station in Anchorage that has all the draw unit boundaries on it. Honestly, I would have totally happy with that... was also refused a copy of that map (pdf).

When I lived in Anchorage I always found it very confusing trying to figure out where it was ok to hunt, and by what rules, because of the unit boundaries. I remember calling the fish & game office and asking about an area accessed from a trailhead outside of Palmer and they would not give me a straight answer. It was a big part of why I didn’t do much hunting while I lived there. That, and being a broke college student at the time. Alaskan hunting isn’t cheap, even as a resident.

Now, if you have a subsistence license, that’s a different story.

Now, if you have a subsistence license, that’s a different story.
Your rhetoric is unfounded.

The subsistence rules and maps are even more vague and only apply to some federal lands and it depends on where you live as to where you can hunt. Their reg book is just as thick as the states.

Your rhetoric is unfounded.

The subsistence rules and maps are even more vague and only apply to some federal lands and it depends on where you live as to where you can hunt. Their reg book is just as thick as the states.
I meant it’s a different story in terms of expense.

I applaud your effort to get them to release the unit boundaries. Would definitely be a worthwhile thing to have. Their custom map option does at least allow you to map a single draw unit and even change the basemap depending on your needs. Might be a good work around for folks that are only interested in a specific unit. ADGF Custom Map

I filed an open records request with the department and stated explicitly that it's not for commercial use nor that I considered it a legally binding boundary. I also requested their legal justification for a denial which I'm entitled by law.

It's not hard for me to digitize the boundary, but this is public information, requested by a private individual for stated non-commercial use, it's a principle thing for me entirely at this point.
I just moved here but this seems a bizarre. The whole point should be to communicate the regulations as effectively as possible to the users. Why would they obfuscate the unit boundaries? It doesn't make any sense.

Please post the response you get from the state regarding your public records request. I'm following this thread. Perhaps several of us could take this up with our representatives , but as I said I just moved here.

Further I’ve worked for state gov and dealt with data requests, therefore I feel like I have a decent handle on what’s reasonable.
Calm Yourself Boy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I just moved here but this seems a bizarre. The whole point should be to communicate the regulations as effectively as possible to the users. Why would they obfuscate the unit boundaries? It doesn't make any sense.

Please post the response you get from the state regarding your public records request. I'm following this thread. Perhaps several of us could take this up with our representatives , but as I said I just moved here.

That's from a GIS person I corresponded with.
1647367735459.png
1647367832669.png
I called a couple other people and was told to they can't because of the policy, I emailed these two individuals with a state Alaska Public records request and never got a response... ADFG doesn't has a liaison for these requests like other states as far as I can tell.

1647367987468.png

To be honest, no one was antagonistic, they just said nope.

Last edited:
I have also sent requests to the special assistant for the commissioner (all of them).

Point now is that I made a Public Records request and it's not being responded to, denied or accepted, within the statutorily defined time frame.
Sue them for emotional pain and suffering. Damages awarded to be a Dall Sheep tag not subject to being accompanied by an outfitter.

Back