Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

WTF MDF?

44hunter45

We know that habitat loss or degradation is the key factor in the decline of Mule Deer numbers. We've heard it from the MDF in print and podcasts for years.
Now this? I got this in an email blast today. If Senator Lee succeeds in converting more publicly owned habitat to development, they will have even more product to sell at the expense of the wildlife.
I wonder how much it cost to buy the soul of a conservation NGO?

1702825628623.png

You’re just anti “lucrative investment.”

😉

Lots of “foundations” out there that do good work acutely, but the bigger picture they seem to be building toward is driven, and thus compromised, by big money - something that increasingly is adversarial to the types of hunting this forum is all about.

We know that habitat loss or degradation is the key factor in the decline of Mule Deer numbers. We've heard it from the MDF in print and podcasts for years.
Now this? I got this in an email blast today. If Senator Lee succeeds in converting more publicly owned habitat to development, they will have even more product to sell at the expense of the wildlife.
I wonder how much it cost to buy the soul of a conservation NGO?

View attachment 306559

Sounds about right. Met with the MDF a couple times about getting the chapter started again down here. From what I gathered from our meetings they are big about raising money and not so big about spending it on projects.

You’re just anti “lucrative investment.” "filthy lucre"

😉

Lots of “foundations” out there that do good work acutely, but the bigger picture they seem to be building toward is driven, and thus compromised, by big money - something that increasingly is adversarial to the types of hunting this forum is all about.
Yeah - FIFY

Throw in a little checkerboard and you can save enough on taxes on "your" land to keep a lawyer on retainer. As well as a sheriff and prosecutor, it seems.

You’re just anti “lucrative investment.”

😉

I don't blame these organizations. $35 memberships in totality barely pay the bills. RMEF has carved out a niche for annual banquets and "from our friends at..." sales. Money drives the world. You have to make compromises or get left behind. MDF has contributed a lot to the migration initiative which received a lot of federal and state funds. Stuff like that can get cut off in DC if we aren't diligent.

I don't blame these organizations. $35 memberships in totality barely pay the bills. RMEF has carved out a niche for annual banquets and "from our friends at..." sales. Money drives the world. You have to make compromises or get left behind. MDF has contributed a lot to the migration initiative which received a lot of federal and state funds. Stuff like that can get cut off in DC if we aren't diligent.

I don’t blame them either, though as a member of some of these orgs, I am wary of them no longer serving the interests of most folks myself included, on-net - when they potentially no longer serve the vast majority of the $35 annual members.

I’m aware it’s a balance I’ve never had to manage.

I can imagine a west filled with mule deer and elk and many other critters, and yet access to those populations by the DIY hunter or really anyone not well-connected still being abysmal - the culture of hunting I grew up surrounded by and still exist in, dying. I’m worried about it, and really value those orgs out there still speaking up for it.

...and really value those orgs out there still speaking up for it.
Who do you view as speaking up for that culture?

It makes me sick when I see what the sport is turning into, but that is what happens when you get money involved in anything. It corrupts the original intent. I don't like attending the banquets anymore, but I can't explain a good reason why (I also don't go to MLB games anymore and instead choose local college games, but I'm not sure the rationale is the same). I live in constantly conflicted state of being. I know how the sausage is made, but I hate being involved in the process, but love enjoying the positive results. Part of our problem is the inability to speak with a single message. I feel like some compromises need to be made between various cohorts, but compromise is a dirty work in today's environment. I can tell you how this ends up though if we stay on the current path. We lose.

Sounds about right. Met with the MDF a couple times about getting the chapter started again down here. From what I gathered from our meetings they are big about raising money and not so big about spending it on projects.
What do they do with it? Send it to Utah?

I've tried to have a conversation with our local chapter leader about what MDF is doing for deer in MT and that conversation left me with even less respect for the organization. It would be nice if someone would start a Muley Fanatics Foundation chapter up here. They seem to put their money where their mouth is for the most part. https://www.muleyfanatic.org/

What do they do with it? Send it to Utah?

I've tried to have a conversation with our local chapter leader about what MDF is doing for deer in MT and that conversation left me with even less respect for the organization. It would be nice if someone would start a Muley Fanatics Foundation chapter up here. They seem to put their money where their mouth is for the most part. https://www.muleyfanatic.org/

From how it was described to me was the money you raise goes into the foundation and your chapter has to submit ideas and the foundation decides if you get the money for the project. I mean I get it but that doesn’t sit well with the locals when they go to these banquets at $100/couple knowing the odds of the money they have donated being used in their area is slim to none

From how it was described to me was the money you raise goes into the foundation and your chapter has to submit ideas and the foundation decides if you get the money for the project. I mean I get it but that doesn’t sit well with the locals when they go to these banquets at $100/couple knowing the odds of the money they have donated being used in their area is slim to none
That “what’s in it for me” is part of the problem. It leads to more local organizations which further dilutes the impact we can have, both on the environment and regulation.

That “what’s in it for me” is part of the problem. It leads to more local organizations which further dilutes the impact we can have, both on the environment and regulation.

MDF wants zero to do with going up against fwp regulation. Trust me that was my main questions with them when we met.

For what its worth, I worked on several well done habitat improvement projects that were organized and funded by MDF along with AZDG&F. Terry Herndon was heavily involved and I've never met anyone who cares more about mule deer, all wildlife and hunters than he does. That was a decade ago, hope things haven't changed that much within the organization.

Back