Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wsm?

jbangs

I've done some bird hunting in my time, but was never interested in big game until recently and decided next year is the year. I've decided to gear up for some big game hunts next year and have been reading whatever I can to get my equipment list in the wife's hands before Christmas.

My first decision is about the caliber of rifle and I've decided a .270 is what makes sense for deer and antelope hunts at home in Colorado or going north to Wyoming or Montana.

I'm not sure about going with the .270 Win. or the .270 WSM. There are options aplenty with the .270 Win., recoil is slightly lighter and I'm assuming it will be cheaper to plink with as I get comfortable with the rifle. On the other hand, the balistics for the .270 WSM look better all the way around. So my questions are:

Is the .270 WSM worth it?

Am I just overthinking this?

Thanks for any help here.

I shoot just the plain old regular .270 Win and have never had a problem taking down a deer with it. I've never shot the WSM, but like I said, the .270 win has always worked great for me.

Stick with the regular .270 and use the money you save to get more gear.

Ditto with the other two. I've never had a problem with the regular .270 and fowladdict1 is right, the money you save on ammo, you can buy other gear needed.

I have the 270 wsm and have killed deer, elk and bear and love it. I would agree that if you are going to shoot factory ammo, then the regular 270 is much cheaper. I hand load so i save some $$ there. The WSM is great for reaching out and touching game at longer distances and is very flat shooting. My Friend hunted with the regular 270 for years and it has never failed him. I would agree with others on here that the regular 270 is great for just about anything you wish to pursue. If you are not going to hand load and are just looking for a great round that is easy on the wallet then the regular 270 is just fine.

What about a 280 Rem? :D

I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to convince me that a WSM is better than the standard. They're virtually identical... If you're to the point of holding over, or dialing something in, it really doesn't matter if it drops 6" or 16".

Find one that feels good to you and buy it.

I have both calibers. The .270 Win. has a 22" barrel and the .270 wsm has a 24"er. My very best 130 gr. partition loads from the std. .270 are under 3/4" @ 100 yds at 3000 fps. The wsm, with the same bullet, will group it into the same sized group @ 3400 fps. Even with what seams like a pretty good increase in velocity, at 400 yards the wsm is only 5" flater, when zero'd at 200 yds.. And I probally can't see that 5" difference in my scope. Lastly, the wsm rifle weighs 8 oz. more than my std. .270.
That's my 0.02,

Last edited:
I have some loads using both Varget and reload #19 that will push a sierra bullet at 3400fps but it is a 110gr. My loads that i use to hunt big game with are all around 3000-3200 that is with a 130 -150 gr. hornady. I have been using varget lately and it works fine for me.

Just my thoughts too... I have both and the short mag I shoot will flat out put it on you sitting at the bench...now maybe I'm a sissy and I know you don"t feel it when hunting but dang I don't find it fun to shoot at the range and from what Ive seen the only shells are $50 a box. But I love the gun my dad just gave it to me so I haven't hunted with it yet and my Regular 270 has taken plenty of hogs and deer

In the .270wsm I'm using RL22 powder with the 130 gr. Nosler Partition bullet The load is right out of the Nosler #6 manual. The rifle is a stainless Weatherby Vanguard with 24" barrel, and I use a PACT chronograph to check velocity on all loads. No brag here, just facts.

The rifle seams to have a very tight chamber, as when cases are full-length resized with Redding dies, only the neck area is resized.

Further,I am in no way suggesting that any one try this load in their rifle.

Last edited:
There is a family of cartridges based on the .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) cartridge that I am very interested in, since all of the cartridges are the same length and head diameter. The family includes the .243 Win, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 Win, .338 Federal and .358 Win. A rifle chambered for one of these can be rebarreled to a different 08 caliber with little additional work. Drop in finished barrels are available for Savage and Remington rifles. I have a Savage model 10 in 243 that I think I will rebarrel to 260 Rem. The .260 Rem has a bullet diameter of .264" and the 7mm-08 Rem. has a bullet diameter of .284". Either of these is in the same range as the .270, but has a milder recoil. The .260 has a good reputation for long range accuracy. I currently shoot .223, .243 and 30-06 and would like a rifle to fill the gap between .243 and 30-06. I don't want a magnum cartridge or even a long cartridge like the .270. I can manage the recoil, but find myself on with the first shot and further off thereafter. I want to enjoy shooting and want to match the cartridge with target. The .260 should be fine for pronghorn, deer and possibly feral hogs, but I would switch to the 30-06 for larger game. The 7mm-08 should be OK for deer to elk, but not for very long range. For that, I would go with the .270 or 30-06. Magnums are fine, but I don't want the extra recoil.

There is an article on these cartridges here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/08_family_cartridges.htm

Anything the .270 will do, the WSM will do. Just a bit faster is all. So it really makes more sense to get the one that does more.

There is a family of cartridges based on the .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) cartridge that I am very interested in, since all of the cartridges are the same length and head diameter. The family includes the .243 Win, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 Win, .338 Federal and .358 Win. A rifle chambered for one of these can be rebarreled to a different 08 caliber with little additional work. Drop in finished barrels are available for Savage and Remington rifles. I have a Savage model 10 in 243 that I think I will rebarrel to 260 Rem. The .260 Rem has a bullet diameter of .264" and the 7mm-08 Rem. has a bullet diameter of .284". Either of these is in the same range as the .270, but has a milder recoil. The .260 has a good reputation for long range accuracy. I currently shoot .223, .243 and 30-06 and would like a rifle to fill the gap between .243 and 30-06. I don't want a magnum cartridge or even a long cartridge like the .270. I can manage the recoil, but find myself on with the first shot and further off thereafter. I want to enjoy shooting and want to match the cartridge with target. The .260 should be fine for pronghorn, deer and possibly feral hogs, but I would switch to the 30-06 for larger game. The 7mm-08 should be OK for deer to elk, but not for very long range. For that, I would go with the .270 or 30-06. Magnums are fine, but I don't want the extra recoil.

There is an article on these cartridges here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/08_family_cartridges.htm

I would also like, as you say "A rifle to fill the gap!" I'm thinking 6.5 x 55!;)

There are a number of things to consider, but these two should help make your decision.

#1 cost of factory ammo.

.270 Winchester is available, cheap. Wally world has 130 gr .270 Federal blue box stuff for $13-$15, it’s very accurate and kills deer and antelope like a lightening bolt.
.270 WSM will run over $40 a box. Big difference.

#2 Elk.
The old .270 will kill elk just fine, but the .270 WSM will do it better, especially at longer ranges like 400+ yards.

If your going to make a decision based on elk, I would up grade to a .300 WSM.

Just my thoughts too... I have both and the short mag I shoot will flat out put it on you sitting at the bench...now maybe I'm a sissy and I know you don"t feel it when hunting but dang I don't find it fun to shoot at the range and from what Ive seen the only shells are $50 a box. But I love the gun my dad just gave it to me so I haven't hunted with it yet and my Regular 270 has taken plenty of hogs and deer

I am no sissy and use a shoulder pad every session at the range. Set the wife up the same way. If you never get 'kicked' when practicing and of course never feel it anyway when hunting, you are going to shoot better in all situations, IMO.

My 270 WSM and 300 mag are fun to shoot and I never get the crap kicked out of me. And yes the ammo is expensive. Going to do some reloading this winter, so maybe save some dough.

I went through your same struggle. I had a .270 Win. and for some reason, really got myself worked up that I needed a .270 WSM. Part of that was my infatuation with my .270 and the large number of critters it killed.

I figured if the .270 Win was that useful and effective, the .270WSM would be just that much better. I have had it for three seasons now. Have yet to kill an animal with it. Not because it can't kill animals, but have yet to find a reason to leave the trusty old .270 Win at home.

If it requires more than the .270 Win, I usually reach for my .300 Win or the .308. If it requires 300+ yard shots at big critters such as elk, I am more comfortable with the .30 cal rifles, even though the .270 Win is capable. If it requires 400 yard shots at deer or antelope, I will still use the .270.

I have resolved that I will start using the .270 WSM more. And, I will. Just can't figure a way to ignore the accuracy and performance that the .270 Win has provided for the last fifteen years.

In the recent episode we filmed for OTC elk in Colorado, I was toting my .270 Win. I knew shots would be under 300 yards in those aspen stands, and that rifle shoots 140 grain Accubonds way better than I can shoot. I would have had no hesitation to shoot an elk with that rifle and those loads.

Sorry for the long dissertation. Having lots of rifles and with many companies offering me lots of free stuff to use in the show, I still keep going back to the tried and true rifles and loads that worked way before this TV gig started - those being .270 Win and .300 Win. Also becoming really fond of the .308, even though many serious riflemen I know seem to avoid that cartridge.

I went through your same struggle. I had a .270 Win. and for some reason, really got myself worked up that I needed a .270 WSM. Part of that was my infatuation with my .270 and the large number of critters it killed.

I figured if the .270 Win was that useful and effective, the .270WSM would be just that much better. I have had it for three seasons now. Have yet to kill an animal with it. Not because it can't kill animals, but have yet to find a reason to leave the trusty old .270 Win at home.

If it requires more than the .270 Win, I usually reach for my .300 Win or the .308. If it requires 300+ yard shots at big critters such as elk, I am more comfortable with the .30 cal rifles, even though the .270 Win is capable. If it requires 400 yard shots at deer or antelope, I will still use the .270.

I have resolved that I will start using the .270 WSM more. And, I will. Just can't figure a way to ignore the accuracy and performance that the .270 Win has provided for the last fifteen years.

In the recent episode we filmed for OTC elk in Colorado, I was toting my .270 Win. I knew shots would be under 300 yards in those aspen stands, and that rifle shoots 140 grain Accubonds way better than I can shoot. I would have had no hesitation to shoot an elk with that rifle and those loads.

Sorry for the long dissertation. Having lots of rifles and with many companies offering me lots of free stuff to use in the show, I still keep going back to the tried and true rifles and loads that worked way before this TV gig started - those being .270 Win and .300 Win. Also becoming really fond of the .308, even though many serious riflemen I know seem to avoid that cartridge.

I'd say that sentimentality is worth several hundred fps. I am losing sleep at night right now trying to figure out if I'm going to shoot my MT deer with Dad's old M700 25-06 or Dad's old 257 Bob (M722). I put a new leupie VX-I on the -06 while the Bob wears a K-4B. Better trigger on the Bob than the 25-06... if a deer steps within 300 yards of either it better start praying the rosary.

Funny thing that over the years, you lean toward comfort and results and lean away from the latest or greatest fad, fling, or such. There's no doubt about it the .308 and it's entire family gets my nod as does the 257 Roberts and it's Daddy the 7X57! The extra inch or two in flatness at the ranges I shoot matter much less than does the soft whump on my shoulder rather than that sharp and painful KABAAAAM of the guns I used to think I loved. Built in efficiency of these cartridges, means less powder per thump while still giving respectible velocity making them cheap reloads and factory ammo is among the cheapest for these short and medium action rounds.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back