Wow What’s happening here?

I can honestly appreciate all of the opinions that have been posted in this thread. Even the ones meant to be funny! I get the frustration, as I get frustrated. I personally had three really awesome mentors that helped me out when I was a teen and struggling to learn about life and the outdoors. Not having a father, it was difficult for me. And they had some great patience with me being a pain in their butts. The lessons they taught me, in all aspects, effected my entire life and still do today. And I have passed the lessons on to my kids.
The thing I can not understand, is when a post is published by someone that may not be proper etiquette, some feel compelled to jump on and be rude to someone they don't even know. Isn't it just as easy or even easier to ignore it and go to the post you could be helpful in? Rudeness seems to be a right anymore and few want to be polite and respectful. We all have been taught to protect your hunting spot or you won't have it anymore. But do we need to be rude about it? The military taught me that, "You don't have to like someone, but you have to respect them".
Just my thoughts on the subject...

I've been blessed with advice here from the HT crowd, I just wish some folks would want to come to CA to hunt columbian blacktails or hogs so I could return the favor. We get two buck tags OTC too.

I have been doing sporadic research on northern CA for blacktail. That hunt is at least 2 years out but I will probably pm you closer to the time for any last minute advice.

Last edited:
I'm new to HT but I think it's a really neat place. I've enjoyed reading the hunting stories and the pictures shared by people. I was a little surprised that people were asking where to hunt exactly so freely because I was definitely taught not to do that. People work really hard for their spots and spend years finding one. Our honey hole was passed down from my great grandfather and I always imagined getting my first elk where he hunted, but then the lumber company sold off the land to some millionaire. So ever since then my dad and I have worked our butts off to find our own spots. We've had a lot of failures, but that is part of learning. Failure is the best teacher. Just because you dont come back with some meat, doesnt mean the hunting trip was pointless. I've seen some really amazing things out hunting, as I'm sure all of us have. And I'm sure we all have made tons of memories out in the woods that will last with us forever.
I do think its funny that day one of being on HT, I read a thread about how the very hunting district I hunt in was seen as horrible and not worth going to. I guess we all have different eyes.
I'm not sure how a 23 year old....well I guess 24 year old now, who hasn't harvested many animals can contribute to others hunting success on this forum.....but I have failed a lot so that's something.

MTELKHUNTRESS---very well said. thanks for the post

in reference to this thread, it is not just "huntng" or "this forum". I have helped people with questions in drag racing, sailing, ranching, horses, hunting, life---and some never show any appreciation and disappear after they get the answers they were looking for. However; I have also made a lot of friends along the way. I always felt my glass was ---half full.

also wilm1313 makes a good point. spending time with my children, grandchildren, great grandchildren keeps me young and I find that if your willing to spend quality time with them, they are more than willing to put down their electronics.

Some of mine like to hunt or fish or camp or explore. I dont push them to do what I prefer, but to spend time with them doing what they enjoy when in the great outdoors . I recently had the opportunity to teach a young person how to play chess, but guess what, I also, by listening to her while we played, learned a few things myself.

I'm new to HT but I think it's a really neat place. I've enjoyed reading the hunting stories and the pictures shared by people. I was a little surprised that people were asking where to hunt exactly so freely because I was definitely taught not to do that. People work really hard for their spots and spend years finding one. Our honey hole was passed down from my great grandfather and I always imagined getting my first elk where he hunted, but then the lumber company sold off the land to some millionaire. So ever since then my dad and I have worked our butts off to find our own spots. We've had a lot of failures, but that is part of learning. Failure is the best teacher. Just because you dont come back with some meat, doesnt mean the hunting trip was pointless. I've seen some really amazing things out hunting, as I'm sure all of us have. And I'm sure we all have made tons of memories out in the woods that will last with us forever.
I do think its funny that day one of being on HT, I read a thread about how the very hunting district I hunt in was seen as horrible and not worth going to. I guess we all have different eyes.
I'm not sure how a 23 year old....well I guess 24 year old now, who hasn't harvested many animals can contribute to others hunting success on this forum.....but I have failed a lot so that's something.

Goes to show you can't believe everything on the internet.. Even on HT!

Getting boots on the ground and “failing” will teach you more, and faster, than asking questions on the internet ever will. You are lightyears ahead of many of those posting questions already.

Like someone said above, analysis paralysis is real. There’s never going to be a perfect time, you’re never going to know everything. Internet research only gets you so far. At some point you have to take the bull by the horns and just go try. If nothing else, people of action end up with better stories to tell anyway 🙂

MTELKHUNTRESS---very well said. thanks for the post

in reference to this thread, it is not just "huntng" or "this forum". I have helped people with questions in drag racing, sailing, ranching, horses, hunting, life---and some never show any appreciation and disappear after they get the answers they were looking for. However; I have also made a lot of friends along the way. I always felt my glass was ---half full.

also wilm1313 makes a good point. spending time with my children, grandchildren, great grandchildren keeps me young and I find that if your willing to spend quality time with them, they are more than willing to put down their electronics.

Some of mine like to hunt or fish or camp or explore. I dont push them to do what I prefer, but to spend time with them doing what they enjoy when in the great outdoors . I recently had the opportunity to teach a young person how to play chess, but guess what, I also, by listening to her while we played, learned a few things myself.

Drag racing??????? This I've got to hear, sounds like it may be better than the Amazon story!!

I am blessed in life as I have a great family and lots of real friends. I really enjoy helping others and seeing people do well in life and their endeavors. I like meeting people and making new friends.
> If I can help someone I will help them if I have the time and the interest to help them in regards to hunt info. I have hunted units in some states I will never hunt again. Why not help them?
Yes, I too have sensed a tone change on this forum but I'm not sure how to explain it.

I was mustering up the courage to ask what is everyone using 4lb braid or fluro even what brand.

I haven’t been here very long, a year maybe. I don’t know what the old days were like, but as is, I think of Hunt Talk kind of like a virtual hunting camp. All camps have their issues, crabby old guys, young guys that ask questions they shouldn’t, guys you love to get stirred up, smart asses, and so on. Camps also have good story tellers and guys who know stuff about a lot of things. Every camp has a couple guys who know what the politics of the day are. Swapping tales of the hunt, bragging about big bucks and bulls, and sharing success, good times, and tough times. The elephant pokes the donkey, probably to much. There is some tail twisting that goes on and some other stuff too. In basic terms things that might be heard in a camp or on Hunt Talk could look like this. “My gun is better than your gun.” “By dog points longer than yours.” “Congratulations on your new grandson.” “Nice gobbler.” “Well done on the new job.” “That fella over there has a short fuse let’s light it.” “That smoked deer leg looks good.” “Thank you guys for all the help and pointers”. Getting down to it, this is a good bunch. Maybe it’s to much of a stretch, but virtual hunting camp comes to mind. I like it.

I see a trend towards people wanting a hunt planned with near guaranteed success and little to no risk of failure. I get it. We live in an age on infinite information that is easily accessible.

I get it some people travel a long ways and don’t want to “fail”. I get it some people didn’t grow up in a hunting household. I learned much of who know about hunting as a young adult.

I feel sorry for the people who have never driven to a mountain range with nothing more than their hunting gear and a map, with no internet research or crowd sourcing of their hunt plan. It certainly isn’t the most efficient way of planning, but it also frees one from paralysis by analysis. Failure is okay. That’s why it’s called hunting.

Right on Brother!! (y) Even today I can only look at online maps for so long, then I grab my stuff and hit the mountains and go see what the hell is there, I love doing that!

I'd be remiss if I didn't point this out. I, as well as countless other people on here have been through some tough and sad times. I wouldn't say mine were any different than what is normal but sad just the same. This forum is and continues to be a good place for advise, wisdom, hope, and most importantly prayers. All of this other stuff is fluff compared to that when you are going through bad times. So let's not forget that.

Also, John always mentions lighting a candle from him which I hold in high regards as well

88man said:
I was mustering up the courage to ask what is everyone using 4lb braid or fluro even what brand.
I have no idea why but I always use P Line Fluorocarbon clear. To this day, I don't know if it's better or if it's cheapest but that's what I use ;)
Seaguar Fluorocarbon, different labels for different uses. Yellow label for 4# leader material. There you have it...a tip received on this forum. End of Hijack...LOL

I am a short timer here and I read way more then I post ,but I will help out if I can with questions.
I think overall it’s pretty positive fourm compared to others.

We've all been there. You've mastered the principle that experience is a great teacher; many people twice your age haven't grasped that

I've been blessed with advice here from the HT crowd, I just wish some folks would want to come to CA to hunt columbian blacktails or hogs so I could return the favor. We get two buck tags OTC too.

I hunted around and on Vandenberg AFB for a couple of days several years ago. We were hunting both deer and hogs. We didn't do vary well, but had a great time. One thing that impressed me around that area was how thick the cover can be. Of course we didn't really know what we were doing, but it was very difficult to spot anything in that brush.

I hunted around and on Vandenberg AFB for a couple of days several years ago. We were hunting both deer and hogs. We didn't do vary well, but had a great time. One thing that impressed me around that area was how thick the cover can be. Of course we didn't really know what we were doing, but it was very difficult to spot anything in that brush.

I hunted there once by invite. I dropped a buck in his tracks with a muzzleloader and I walked over to it while my friend stayed put and kept a mark on the spot. The brush was only waist high but I searched long and hard and couldn't find the buck. My friend talked me onto the very spot where it fell and told me not to move. He then came over to me to help search. We were perplexed that we couldn't find it and then it suddenly jumped to its feet while we were only a few feet away from it.

I am a long time lurker, and haven't posted before. I am fortunate that I get to hunt all fall long in numerous states. I started out many years ago and had some miserable failures and lessons learned. As Buzz stated on another post it took him 25 years of busting butt to find some of the good places to hunt. To me, there are two types of hunts now. Once in a lifetime and then the general season hunts. Frankly, you have to be good at both to be successful these days. I will share information on the once in a lifetime units or hard to draw limited hunts. These are the 10 plus point units that I will not be hunting in the near future or even ever again. I won't give away my general or low point units that keep me hunting every year in multiple states. I was also a guy many years ago that had little time and money and was trying to get everything I could out of my hunts because of work and family commitments. Some of the younger generation, just starting out with a family and limited time also need some help along the way and I believe that helping them along the way is part of the hunting heritage. Hunting has become a competition with all the social media out there, and it shouldn't be. Success should be judged on the time spent in the field and the memories that no one can take away.

This site has separated itself from others with some of the folks that post here and how the site is managed. I will be looking to help others more on this site and good luck in the draws.

Rich

I hunted there once by invite. I dropped a buck in his tracks with a muzzleloader and I walked over to it while my friend stayed put and kept a mark on the spot. The brush was only waist high but I searched long and hard and couldn't find the buck. My friend talked me onto the very spot where it fell and told me not to move. He then came over to me to help search. We were perplexed that we couldn't find it and then it suddenly jumped to its feet while we were only a few feet away from it.
Hunted pigs & deer near the base,but we would sneak on to surf...lol

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back