Wounded Game Question...

Moosie

Grand poopa
So Driving into Work today (Sunday) I saw a Goose in the Middle of the Median. I was on the Phone with a Friend and Said I saw a Goose inthe Median and it's head was up but didn't look too good.

He said he had saw it yesterday but it's head wasn't up.

So, What do I do ?

Do I stop, try to Catch it and Dispatch it (I.E. With a Shovel ?)
Do I call Fish and Game tomorrow at 8AM and letthem know ?
Do I try to catch it and probably if it can Move it will run acros the Freeway and Get Squashed ?

.. Any Suggestions ? I'm heading home soon..........

We were also up Lowman way last week and Saw a 3 legged deer. It was Moving around but not in all that good of shape. What whould you do in that situation ? It hopped off on 3 legs "uphill" so it was moving around so we didn't worry about it.

I need to Call F&G tomorrow and see what they say too.......

I'll tell you a story. When I used to live in Arizona, my brother and I were out quail hunting and came upon a momma javelina with several very young babies. We startled them pretty good and one of the babies ran straight into a cholla cactus and was covered from head to hoof in cactus spines. The momma ran off and we didn't know what to do. We finally corraled it using the muzzles of our shotguns and got it into one of our jackets that we had laid on the ground. The momma had absolutely deserted her baby and it had no chance being in the shape it was. We called F&G and they told us to bring it to an animal rescue place that they have set up outside Phoenix. We took the baby there and got a little bitched out for "trapping" wild game. But in the end they were thankful. They take care of wounded critters and then release them back into the wild. They said they had a herd of a dozen or so young javelina that they were putting together. They removed all the cactus from it and put it with the other javelina. They took care of the baby and released them as a herd several months later. We really felt like we had done our good deed. Anyway, I would call F&G first, just to make sure.

I try to dispatch severly wounded game, I don't even bother calling F&G, probably get me in trouble someday, but what the heck. Our F&G would dispatch the goose if they knew of it, mainly because of the safety involved. The goose is in a median strip cars traveling on both sides. If it trys to go one way or another it could cause an accident, people swerving trying to avoid it. If it was on a Route I took every day, I think Iwould just keep an eye on it If it stayed put and didn't move, I think I would try to approach it and finish it off.

For the goose when you drive by it toss a beer can at it and see if it runs across the road.
You could always have a bet with Jose to see how many cars it misses ... Would be great fun for the kids too.

for the deer. you cant do a thing, game and fish dont care, well they do but there is really nothing they can do, Hey yotes need to eat too.

But yeah anything very badly wounded gets a quick bullet then I am out of there.

Do I try to catch it and probably if it can Move it will run acros the Freeway and Get Squashed ?
Instead of trying to catch it, just keep chasing it unil it gets squashed... :eek: :D

I'm with Del on that decision... :)

That goose has bird flu I tell ya :eek: bird flu hump Call the health department then let the local paper know about it and start a panic about it hump :D :D

as for the deer keep an eye on it, so you can get some good shots at 'yotes, or even a cat hump Nothing like a little free bait :D

I still like the panic part :D

Hunterman(Tony)

Quite trying to save the world. Forget about the stupid goose and move on.

What To Do?

I Have Had A Similar Situation With A Cow Moose,she Would Sit In A Swamp,and You Could Aproach It Up To 10 Feet Away,her Hair Would Raise On Her Back From Regresion,i Passed By Her A Whole Week While Deer Hunting,i Called The Rangers To Tell Them The Situation ,but They Did Not Do Anything,i Believe She Had Head Worms.i Never Seen Her Again,i Heard Poachers May Have Taken Her,i Know The Weak Are The Ones That Die,but Can You Imagine Being Eaten Alive By A Herd Of Coyotes,what A Painful Death.do You Do The Humane Thing And Finish Their Miseries?or Do You Let Mother Nature Take It,s Course?

As it goes with political opinions and what I would probably tell every one is that I walked on by, what I did in reality to help a beast out of it's real time misery... Well...

Several years ago (before cell phones) I was headed to work at about 4am. On the way out of town there was a doe on the centerline of the road, she was obviously hit by a vehicle and was pulling herself in circles trying to get moving. Being the law abiding compassionate person I am, I stopped at a convienece store and had them call the police. The cop showed up, the deer was still pawing its way in circles, he wanted to know what I wanted him to do. I stood there looking dumbfounded (that ain all that unusual) and told him to put her down. He had his police car parked with the lights on the deer, and blocking traffic. He missed the deer twice from a distance of about 5 ft. I said give me the gun, he said I can't do that its against the rules. I asked him how he was going to explain missing the deer in his shots fired report. He handed me the weapon, I put one behind her ear, and drug it off the road. Thats when I learned that most cops are horrible shots.

call peta and let them know the location of the goose.

i seen a deer with three legs feeding in a field this year while driving down the road........poor bastard!
can you be concerned and laugh at the same time?....dont know why, but something about a deer on three wheels make's me chuckle.

We ran across this guy just a couple weeks ago on our way javelina hunting. There were several trucks stopped looking at it. I was within a foot of it and it didn't move a bit. Buddy of mine that was with me is dating a vet and he asked her about it and showed her the pic and she said it is getting ready to kill over. They always do that. Pretty wild.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/oegbert/P1000246.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back