Would you?

Would you?

• Bail on the trip because you may miss it.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Go, but by yourself later so you don’t ruin the others trip.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Go, Tell Son and DIL that if they don’t have it early you will see them as soon as you get back.

Votes: 87 83.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here are my thoughts even though I can’t answer your questions. If the child birth goes well then having extra people around is a PITA. The only thing mom and dad need is people to drop off a meal once in a while. If your son and DIL had other children then you’d be able to be a huge help by taking care of them during the child birth. However, if there are complications it is pretty important to have family around. I say this because my wife and I could have used a lot of help and family wasn’t available. We had friends that came through for us.

Agree with some others. Youll always be expected to raise the bar so setting it too high from the start is a bad idea that is setting yourself up for future failure. Set it low at the beginning then every little raise is a huge win. This works for dating, as well.

Let me add that I have no idea if my grandparents were there when I was born and I don’t care. My granddaddy was a truck driver, so the odds are 50/50 that he was even in town. The only issue that I see is what your wife thinks. If she’s ok with it, don't worry about it.

That's easy which is more important to you? I'd throw a 20 point hunt away in a heartbeat to be there for my kid and grandkids. If there's still season after the baby I'd go hunting then.

Last thing I wanted was extra folks around just after giving birth, the nurses were bad enough waking me up every, seemed like, few minutes to feed the boy.
Go hunt, heck I hunted into Oct and gave birth on Halloween.
Parents showed up 2 days after birth and that was fine with us. They lived 900 miles away.

Man all those birthday parties now at hunting season, better planning for the next one sir.
Congrats though on the new kid.

Go hunting. Hold the line!!! My sister has 2 kids now, and my parents were never at the hospital while she was giving birth.

I could understand if it was a super high risk pregnancy/birth, but otherwise just go hunting. A phone call or text while you're on your trip would mean a lot if they know how passionate you are about hunting.

I guess in the end, it wasn't you who planned to have a kid during hunting season!

First kids often come a week later than the due date. And what are you really going to do? Say congrats and hold the baby for 10 minutes? I didn't expect anyone to alter their plans to come see any of my newborns. If you were my dad, I'd say go hunting! (Babies aren't cute the first couple days anyway 😜)

I think there is a Michael Jordan meme floating around somewhere that gives some sound advice. I would go hunting and enjoy the grandkid when you return.

As soon as the doc told my kids the due date was during hunting season my wife and kids would say, “well Dad won’t be there!” Go hunting…they are gonna be sleeping every chance they get afterwards anyway for a few weeks. You can make it up to them later. Congratulations on the upcoming new addition!

Sit the family down, face-to-face preferrably so you know you have their full attention, and tell them how dissappoint you are the refresher is needed. Explain how you are an Alpha Male and simply having to make this decision feels like a challenge to your Alpha Male status. Alpha Males don't passively sit around waiting for babies to be born. Also explain that because your DIL has chosen to have the baby delivered by the Doctor, and you don't play back-up quarterback to anyone, you will be leaving on your trip a day early and coming home a day later.

Let us know how they take it. :ROFLMAO:

I have two nieces, and the second was born during the final week of the season. They were more than happy to have me and my father (grandpa) out hunting. What I learned is that the parents really didn't want anyone there during the first week, because the whole process was exhausting. They just wanted to be left alone with the baby.

I can't speak for how your wife will feel, but your son and DIL will probably not care that much if you aren't there.

Go hunting.

First, CONGRATULATION GRANDPA!

I'd probably keep my plans in place, based upon the inaccuracy of predicting the actual birth date/time. The whole issue may solve itself with the child arriving ahead of the due date.

I'd also be talking about it with your wife and the expectant couple. They may be more understanding as they learn what some seem to be expecting you to sacrifice.

If need be, you could fly home within 24-hours of the birth for an overnight visit to welcome the baby and share a cigar with the new parents and then returning to your hunt.

Talk to them... it will work out. Don't dump you tag or trip plans. At least not yet.

Go on the trip. Be humble and know that your services are likely not needed for the birth and immediate days after. Let them enjoy the only quiet time together they will get for the next 18 years. Then visit them when the DIL invites you over to give her a break. Have a well thought through contact/check in, emergency return home plan. Have your in-reach charged, and all your hunting buddies contact info also given out to family. Like every other day and possible circumstance of the year, if a true emergency arises, 911 and trained people will hold your place until get there. Now put THAT thought out of your mind and go hunting.

I just explained your situation to my wife and she agrees with me. GO ON YOUR TRIP. Talk to the soon to be mother and father tell them you would like their blessing to go. If not see you when I GET BACK !

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back