Caribou Gear Tarp

Would you rather?

Would you rather use fishing or hunting gear from 1991?

• Fishing gear

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • Hunting gear

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I still use my gear from 1991.

Votes: 12 19.4%

• Total voters

Gellar

If you were forced to Would you rather use hunting or fishing gear from 1991? I’d rather use hunting gear. To me the quality and quantity of fishing gear has improved exponentially. From lines to lures to underwater imaging and mapping I wouldn’t want to go back to 1991.

I must quantify that I have upgraded my fishing electronics since 1991 though as the old hummingbird fish finder I had was a liar! Have a Lowrance with side scan now.

I realize hunting gear has somewhat plateaued (IMO) since 2010-2021. I catch fish just as well on my ol meps lures and old spin rods as I did in the 90s, not well lol but they work. Also if your rods are well cared for they will last you your entire life... To play devils advocate my guns are almost all older then me and work great. But my 90s bows are Garbage compared to my elite synergy and Mathews Chill. and in 10 more years ill bet my two bows will be garbage compared to those once there is a new break thru.

1991 hunting gear I still use:
Rifle
Scope (until last year)
Wool pants
Wool shirt
Newer version of pac boots I started using in the 90's

1991 and older fishing gear :
Pretty much all of it...

Think about all the fishing gear that was already classic when we used it in 1991 and still use today. Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, Mepps, Rapalas, Flatfish, Wedding Rings, Ford Fenders, Corkies, Bud's spinners. What new developments would you replace those with?

Hunting? I think the advancements in clothing, navigation, optics, etc., are much more significant.

QQ

I’m Surprised by the results so far.
Think about all the fishing gear that was already classic when we used it in 1991 and still use today. Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, Mepps, Rapalas, Flatfish, Wedding Rings, Ford Fenders, Corkies, Bud's spinners. What new developments would you replace those with?

Hunting? I think the advancements in clothing, navigation, optics, etc., are much more significant.

QQ
Optics, I agree. Navigation I can’t agree. GPS has changed navigation for hunters and fishers. I’ve fished lakes and rivers that didn’t even have an underwater topo in 1991 and now for $9.99 a year I can have an accurate topo on my phone for every lake and river in the US and Canada. I remember traveling some of those lakes for the first time And your butt would constantly be puckered because you didn’t know for 100% certainty you weren’t going to hit a rock and ruin a lower unit.

Interesting question. I enjoy wearing modern hunting clothing. Other than that, I could hunt with 1991 equipment.

The rifle I deer hunt with is an AR15 I assembled in 2012.
The rest of my hunting/fishing gear IS pre 1991! LOL!
My favorite shotgun is a 1932 Remington "Sportsman" 16 gauge.
Favorite rifle is my Ruger No.1 .270 Win. It's a 1978 model.
Handgun is a 1975 S&W M57 (.41 Rem Mag) with 8 3/8" bbl.

Gave up bows several years ago. Wallydeuce is spot on. Getting old sucks!
Shoulder implant on one side, high school football wrecked elbow on the other side.
I can barely pick my nose.

Most of my fishing is ice fishing, so no way would that work. Take away my Marcum and flip over shanty/heater and I’m not even going.

Although Beaver Dam tipups and Miller High Life were available in ‘91, so perhaps I’ve been a bit too hasty…

I like hunting more than fishing, although still do fish a bit. So it’s more important to me to have top end hunting gear.

Yeah, well, there's that. My 1994 round float tube sunk too.
Yeah I had a nearly sinkable experience with a float tube too. Seat started to blow out the same time the seam holding the tube in went. What a pain in the ass.

Back