Would you change your state of residency to burn points?

Southern Elk

Point creep in Colorado and wanting to hunt a once in a lifetime elk unit got me to thinking. Would you ever consider moving to burn your points as a resident instead of a non resident? As bad as I want to hunt certain units in Colorado, I don’t think I would move away from Montana to do it.

Funny you mention this because my wife and I were just discussing it last week. We may in the near future be looking at moving and my wife taking a traveling hospital position. There is a lot of flexibility in locations and we may try to take advantage of resident status in a few locations. AZ was top on the list to get all the lifetime benefits such as hunting license, vehicle and trailer regs. We also have family in CO and both have a solid amount of deer points and as a resident, those deer points would produce a very solid hunt so we might go AZ to CO to ???

Point creep in Colorado and wanting to hunt a once in a lifetime elk unit got me to thinking. Would you ever consider moving to burn your points as a resident instead of a non resident? As bad as I want to hunt certain units in Colorado, I don’t think I would move away from Montana to do it.
In my current family and business situation couldn't imagine moving my family for hunting as much as I love it. If I was a single guy with less people depending on me I could definitely see it being something I'd consider.

If you knew my personal life and professional life, I’d say I didn’t. But since we’re all chums here and I got to know a select few of you, I’ll admit that’s what I did.

Maybe not exactly like you described, but my professional life was much better in the Midwest than it is out here. But I moved mainly for hunting and picked Wyoming over Colorado or Utah for hunting. Being closer to mine and my spouse’s family was a second consideration.

Granted, there is so much more to this story. Some almost as important.

Now you may say “what a jerk putting hunting over family”. My rebuttal is that my family (wife and I, no kids) was all I was thinking about. Our extended family needs some space from us in CO. We don’t want them over every weekend. We’ve been gone for years, they would be over a lot, and we prefer to be just with ourselves.

So because of such, I’m burning my few points in WY as fast as I can. Because they go away no matter what. :)

So my number one plan is to out live everyone in order to get the tags I want at the point levels I am at. Let’s call that phase 1. If things start looking bleak I plan to implement phase 2 which is moving residency as needed to draw said tags. Still scheming on phase 3 of this plan.

I didn't do it specifically to burn points. But I will say that I took full advantage of the change in residency and pulled a couple of good tags that would have been almost impossible as an NR. The move was more family and financially motivated, but there are opportunities here that I didn't have previously. Although, as an NR now of the previous state, I have almost zero chance of getting the elk slam without shelling out some big bucks for a Tule elk. I wish I could have burned those elk points before moving, but it wasn't worth staying just for a chance at a tag someday.

I moved to wyoming for a couple reasons and hunting was amongst the top few. I would never leave here for hunting purpose as only alaska has better resident oppurtunity. The problem with people who move to use points is now any state with points those tags are effectively OIL. So you move and draw a "great" tag then what? your stuck hunting CO otc and being a NR in rest of western states unless you move again. Good hunting isnt waiting 30 years to draw a tag its succesfully hunting incredible country every year and enjoying it including not being over run with people.

Nope not to specifically to burn points. If I were to move out west it would be for less human population density followed by mor expansive public land to roam. Easier to draw mule deer, elk, and antelope tags would be a bonus.

I like most animals more than I like most people and Louisiana is financially challenged but most of my family is in Louisiana and has been since the turn of the 19th century so the family odds of me relocating are low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back