Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Would you change your state of residency to burn points?

A person could become a resident of Idaho, buy a lifetime hunting license and then be considered a resident in the draws going forward after leaving the state.
Can you actually do that? A lot of states have wording to the effect that for the purposes of the draw you can only be considered a resident of one state.

I mean get away with sure, but if you moved from CO to Idaho and then back you definitely would be breaking CO law if you applied as a resident in both CO and Idaho.

Can you actually do that? A lot of states have wording to the effect that for the purposes of the draw you can only be considered a resident of one state.

I mean get away with sure, but if you moved from CO to Idaho and then back you definitely would be breaking CO law if you applied as a resident in both CO and Idaho.
I doubt any other state cares how Idaho markets Lifetime license sales or runs its draws.

Attachments

• IMG_9924.jpeg
    IMG_9924.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Also straight up says you cannot claim residency elsewhere if you intend to claim R in Idaho. Last sentence of that screenshot

To answer your question, yes I would but then again I want to move out of this state anyway haha. When I retire and am stacked with points I’m going to have to move from one state to the next haha 😂

Yeah if you apply for an Idaho tag as a R and in CO as a R you would be breaking CO law.
Colorado doesn’t care how Idaho runs its draws.

Idaho can place whomever, wherever they want in its drawing. Placing a lifetime license holder in the resident draw doesn’t give them residence status for the state. The license for the hunter would still show the Colorado address and list Colorado as the residence in this example.

Does Colorado care if someone pays Wyoming more money to be in the special draw? Same scenario.

Also straight up says you cannot claim residency elsewhere if you intend to claim R in Idaho. Last sentence of that screenshot
That's only in regard to claiming residency to buying said license. Not the afterwards benefits. And to what @wllm Is thinking about CO law being broken, you aren't claiming residency in ID in the draw with your lifetime license. You still are being treated as a NR in respect to tags, etc you just aren't purchasing a license that year for ID

Placing a lifetime license holder in the resident draw doesn’t give them residence status for the state.
Residency isn’t a ubiquitous state.

Residency is defined differently by the state for various things.

For instance taxes, there are certain conditions you must meet to be defined as a resident for tax purposes.

There are different requirements for a drivers license, for in-state college tuition.

Different requirements for hunting licenses, CO says you can’t have applied in another state as a resident to be considered a Resident in the CO draw. Several other states have similar requirements.

CO does care.
IMG_3368.jpeg

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/residency.aspx#:~:text=A%20Colorado%20“resident”%20is%20someone,their%20primary%20state%20of%20residency.

Montana
IMG_3369.jpeg

Last edited:

For instance taxes, there are certain conditions you must meet to be defined as a resident for tax purposes.

There are different requirements for a drivers license.

Different requirements for hunting licenses, CO says you can’t have applied in another state as a resident to be considered a Resident in the CO draw. Several other states have similar requirements.

CO does care.
View attachment 279920

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/residency.aspx#:~:text=A%20Colorado%20“resident”%20is%20someone,their%20primary%20state%20of%20residency.
You are thinking that second last bullet point. However, you didn't buy a license that year for ID!

Besides, CO is a lame landing spot for big game hunting after you snag your AZ and ID lifetime license!

You are thinking that second last bullet point. However, you didn't buy a license that year for ID!
Hence my question about applying for tags/ participating in the draw. To be legal you would need to apply as a CO/MT NR. I’m sure there are other states, but these are the two I know for sure having navigated their systems and asked their game departments this question.
IMG_3370.jpeg

Last edited:
@TheTone is on a 20 year losing streak for a moose tag, I’m on a 10 year losing streak for my goat tag, all the mulies died in the snow, and the wolves ate all the elk. Like I said, Idaho sucks.
thanks for the reminder. My refund showed up today, maybe I’ll invest it in booze to help me forget

I do have a friend that is considering moving to a state where he is buying points when he retires. The increased point value isn’t his real reason but it would be a nice touch

There are different requirements for a drivers license, for in-state college tuition.

CO does care.
View attachment 279920

Montana
View attachment 279921
You got me here on Montana. That verbiage is lame

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back