Worst thing you've forgotten before a big hunt trip?

Left my clothes bag sitting on my bed a few years ago. Was hunting for a week in borrowed clothing at camp. Couldn't believe, especially since I double checked to make sure my boots were in the cab before I left the house.

Left my debit card in the ATM as I pulled out of town to leave for North Dakota for a duck hunting trip. That was pretty wack cause I didn’t have a credit card at that time.

Left my boots at home to go snow goose hunting in April, and you think April can’t be too bad but it was 15 degrees with 10” of snow on the ground. Wack.

Forgot paddles and had to use gun butts as oars but that was just one morning.

Worst thing I ever did is leave (not forget) to take my cross sticks to Namibia. Man, that was dumb and it cost me big time. Was just trying to save luggage weight.

Forgot my boot dryer on my Montana hunting trip once. Of course it was 20 degrees for highs with snow everyday . And the place we were staying the heat went out so we heated it /tried to dry out boots by running the oven ..... don’t miss that trip at all .....

Last year I got sidetracked talking to a guy with his young son in the parking lot at about 5am before heading out to my stand. We were parked right next to each other and the dad started blowing his son crap about taking to long to get ready. As a guy that’s taken crap his entire life for being slow to get ready this Made me start to develop some major anxiety so I hauled ass throwing on my layers and lacing up my boots so as not to be a bad/slow influence on the young child.

Got dressed, gave the father and son an overenthusiastic “good luck” and took off down the trail. Made it about 300yds and realized I didn’t have my bow in my hand. 🤫. Had to do the walk of shame back past the father and son in the parking lot. I got in my car and shuffled some stuff around so it looked like maybe I’d forgotten something small in there, not the most critical piece of gear for the hunt. Picked my bow up out of the grass and took off down the trail without saying anything.

Ps. Forgetting my bow had nothing to do with my postings in the thread about legal pot yesterday. It was relatively early! It was dark!

Stoner! Haha

On a related note, if anyone finds a Waterworks-Lamson reel in lying around in the Snowies...let me know.

Yesterday, when I arrived at my pheasant hunting spot, over an hour from the house, I realized I forgot my shotgun.

Hey, not me ... but one of my hunting buddies forgot his magazine (sorry, we called it a clip then) and his rifle ammo. Another buddy lent him a pistol to hunt and, of course the forgetful one found a big bull elk and errantly fired every round from the pistol at the nonchalant elk that merely sauntered away.

It was the same day we encountered a couple of nimrods with a stuck-in-a-snowbank old Ford station wagon with the back seat covered with dead squirrels they had shot. When we explained that we could only hunt bull elk in that district but had watched a small herd of cow elk enter a patch of trees nearby and asked, "Do either of you two have a cow permit?" ... the reply was, "No, we're just hunting deer and elk." :rolleyes:

That was a bizarre hunting excursion for sure ... with the only high point being the Virginia City Bale-of-Hay Saloon was open that night and I found my old high school buddy Ford Bovey, then mayor of Virginia City, holding an informal "commission meeting" around a pitcher of cold beer!:D

Left my quiver at home. Luckily I wasn't too far from home but was running late. In my bow case I had 2 arrows with practice blades and sharp replacements in my pack so I swapped out and hunted the evening. Killed a smaller buck as my first archery kill that day.

My boots when I was in high school, like a real dumbass.

2.5 hour drive back home to get them, so that wasn't happening. 2800' climb before light in the sawtooths in my nikes. Like a real dumbass.
The best thing that happened that day was that we didn't kill a bull. Parts of my ankles that I didn't know could get sore. I would never
do that again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back