Worst Hotel you’ve ever stayed at ..

The Hedgehog

Mine is Nephi Utah - the “Economy Inn & Suites” - holy shit.

I pulled into Nephi on the way back from an elk hunt. I was tired and it was a Morman town/name - figured all would be happy.

Saw a $55/ night hand written sign and figured it had to be good.

Receptionist was a heavily tattooed obvious drug king. As was his friend sitting with him.

Here’s a little video clip of of what I found under my mattress. I ended up putting all my belongings in my room, including my elk

I slept on my cot.

Good times.

Last edited:
The Teapot Motor Inn in Edgerton Wyoming was, well…..not great. Sleeping on the floor would have been a better option than the bed. It is no longer open.

Ashland, KY. Right off 64W. Had to sign a paper acknowledging that there was a train nearby… didn’t specify it would be coming by EVERY hour throughout the night, shaking the whole place and sound blasting past the almost non-existent weather-stripping. I am a light sleeper. Didn’t get a wink. Was not a cheery travel partner for my family the next day.

Last edited:
Super 8. Wheat ridge Colorado. Most ghetto establishment I have ever entered. Drug addicts moaning in confusion wandering the hallways in bathrobes. Had those fluorescent lights that buzzed and flickered when you turn them on. If my family had been with me I never would have even entered the lobby. Good news is I didn’t catch the bed bugs or get raped. 🤷‍♂️

Green Mountain Motel in Jeffrey City, WY.
The dude running the “office” was perpetually drunk and repeated the same line to us each time we bumped into him. The room was disgusting. Camping in the parking lot under a tarp would’ve been a thousand times more sanitary. Never again.

IMG_2606.jpeg

Overland park or Olathe, can't remember which, about a decade ago.

Stayed at the chain a few times (microtel maybe?). Went to this location however. Checked in. Got key. All good.

Now, to preface, I've stayed in a lot of places, I lived/owned a party house in my early 20s. Indian reserverations as the only white man building on/in territory. Cicero. 26th. Motels with the neighboring rooms being traveling RR guys/construction guys, partying all night, Etc. I'm quite seasoned, solo. The wife would never be in the same zip code as these locations..

However. I walk in my room. Faces a train track, like right up to the ROW. Hmm whatev.

Mirrors on 3/4 walls + ceiling.

Boot print (like you stepped on a hot skillet for a minute then stepped on the bay window cushion with a hot boot) on the bay window cushion leading out the window.

A window that opens.

1.5" gap at the threshold of the door.

Half eaten cookie on the nightstand.

Condom in the shower.

Stains. many many stains on the mattress.

The worst part? Pre covid mind you. The "continental hot breakfast" was stale boxed cereal. No biggie, milk will wash it down. Only problem was they didn't have milk. Like puzzled when I asked for milk with the cereal.

But it was $39 out the door!

Not as bad as most, but bedbugs in central south Dakota for deer season.

And that was why I bought a camper.

Side note, I was very lucky and didn't bring any hitchhikers home with me, I credit the other motel in town that took me in and was able to pay to have him wash all my clothes in the industrial washer and dryer

One of my most memorable was the hotel in Terry MT. I asked for a wakeup call and they handed me a wind up alarm clock. The hotel was right out of 1930. The shower was a 6ft galvanized water trough turned on it's end.

There was another one somewhere in Central WY. I can't remember where, maybe Weatland. It had a $0.25 massage bed and paneling on the walls. 1960s house trailer decor.

The old Nullagvik hotel in Kotebue was the worst. $300/night all the doors had a 2" gap along one side due to settlement.

Super 8, Kenosha Wi. Was something going on and was the only room within an hour we could get on a fishing trip. Smelled like somebody painted the room with curry and dog shit . Laid out any extra clothes I had on top of the bed and slept on those. Drug deals going on in the hall and in the parking lot. Slept about a total of 20 minutes with one eye open. You know it's bad when your cousin who's done hard time in prison says he's not sure if we should be staying here. I can still smell that room.

The microtel in Rapid City SD during the big rally was extra special. The room looked and smelled worse than any frat house basement.

I pulled into Nephi on the way back from an elk hunt. I was tired and it was a Morman town/name - figured all would be happy.

Receptionist was a heavily tattooed obvious drug king. As was his friend sitting with him.

Here’s a little video clip of of what I found under my mattress. I ended up putting all my belongings in my room, including my elk

I slept on my cot.

Good times.
Yep, stayed there. Noisy all night. People were coming and going all the time. Last year a new motel was built just down the street

Have a few doozies.

Driving to meet in-laws in San Diego during a horrendous winter storm which nicely made road conditions dangerous to Vegas....strung out by SLC we took a room in a motel which we found out the next morning was condemned. Had the place to ourselves. Vile conditions.

Striper fishing in Rhode Island. Dad and I rented a room in a joint run by Pakistanis.
VIP quarters around back in the basement. I literally couldn't open the door it was so swollen from humidity. The blast of mold from within when I finally pried open the door made me retch.

Saltese, Mt......you can pay money to sleep on plywood.

My frugal wife is the absolute QUEEN of finding the shittiest f-ing dumps in a pinch. It's a bad running joke. Locations:
Missoula, Mt
Moses Lake, WA
Saltese, Mt.
SLC, Ut
bumfck, WY
Atlanta, GA
Barstow, CA
New Denver, B.C.

North Star motel in Prince Albert.

Slept there for a night to "treat" myself to a bed before heading home after a successful bear hunt. I pulled into the lot, which looked like a dump/zombie land, and saw several groups of 5-10 people with room doors open, having "parties" with drugged up zombies walking around. I raised the overall tooth count to 67 from 35 when I pulled in the lot.

The moment I got out of my truck, one of the zombies came over to chat and asked what I was doing. He gave me some wild bear bait recipe with fermented fish which probably smelled like his breath I could smell from 6 feet away.

I brought everything into the room with me and left my truck clearly empty, even rolled up the tonneau cover to show there was nothing in there. The room door wouldn't lock and was held closed by the tiniest sliver of wood. I spent the night with most of my gear packed in front of the door to keep it shut. The room was furnished with 70s office furniture, bodily fluid stains all around and smelled like garbage.

Heard the wildest party all night. Left around 7 am and the zombie parties were just starting to slow down. Left all my gear outside for a week when I got home and washed everything after.

Every Motor Inn I've stayed at in Manitoba would be close second to that, with third worst being an Econo Lodge in Alberta.

First thing that came to my head:

When I was 8 or so, my folks took us X-country skiing in Yellowstone Park, and I was told we were gonna stay at the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. Hell yeah, a hot springs.

We got there, and it turns out, there’s no hot springs compatible with swimming trunks. WTF. I was mildly irate, but not outwardly as a butt whoopin from a father who thinks you are turning your nose up at his hard-earned money is not a good way to spend vacation. I accepted reality.

Upon arriving in the room, it was revealed that this ancient structure lacked any TVs. Holy chit, I am stuck in a room with my folks for the weekend without Nickelodeon – total BS.

Went to dinner that night at the hotel restaurant next door. I ordered a personal cheese pizza. Existing in a strange and dangerous nexus of Tryin to be Fancy but also just a National Park contract operation, the cook made me this thing. It had crust, but where the sauce was supposed to be was instead actual tomato slices. Instead of greasy mozz well done on top of where there was supposed to be tomato sauce, the sonofabitchin cook put this garbage I'd never had before, called Brie Cheese. It was runny and soft and an affront to my pizza-ethics. It also tasted like dog breath. He topped my pizza off with some sort of leaf from some sort of uppity plant. Worst pizza I ever ate, and I haven’t been back since.

I can’t remember the name of the hotel but it was somewhere in Grand Rapids MI. I was over there for training, quick turn and burn type deal for a full day. Training let out late so my job paid for a hotel.

For whatever reason, this hotel was overbooked so they ‘upgraded’ me to the ‘romance suite’. Which not only included a hand-crafted basket of romantic gestures but also had a jacuzzi 6’ from the bed with mirrors on the wall. Room smelled of mold and the bed was the equivalent of sleeping on the ground. Carpet was crusty and the tv let out a ringing sound. I stayed in there for 3 hours tops. Left and drove 5 hours home. Got back at 3 in the morning.

I've stayed at some crumby places, but nothing to the degree some of you have!

I have walked in to some motels, paid for a room, went to the room, then instantly went back for a refund and found somewhere else to stay. One in Devils Lake, ND, and one in Ft. Meyers Florida.

I slept on my cot.

Good times.
must have been bad, I know you have spent the night in Ashland MT

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back